Old 10-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Ryan Golhar

Default RHEL 5.2 -> Sun 2540 Fibre Disk Array

Hi,

I'd like to get some opinions before I venture on this. I have a couple
of Sun servers running RHEL 5.2. They all have fibre cards and are
connected to a Sun 2540 Fibre Disk Array. I've allocated a chunk of
disk space space on the SAN to be used for /home.

Previously, I would have set up an NFS server and mounted /home from the
other servers. But now, that everything is connected directly to the
SAN I could mount /home directly without using NFS.

Is this possible or am I still going to need an NFS server to control
access to /home? The more I think about it, the more it worries me
because /home is a logical volume. Can I have all the servers accessing
this partion at the same time? If I can't have all the machines mount
/home directly from the SAN, then that sort of defeats the purpose of
having the SAN for /home, IMO.

What would be the best way for setting this up?

Old 10-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Kristoffer Knigga

While I've not done it before, I believe it's possible using GFS:

http://www.redhat.com/gfs/

I'm taking RH436 later this month, so hopefully after that I'll have a better idea about how exactly to do it.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:56 AM
"Sanjay Chakraborty"

You need cluster file system like GFS. ext3 file system will crash if
same lun is mounted from different servers.

2008/10/1 Ryan Golhar <golharam@umdnj.edu>:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to get some opinions before I venture on this. I have a couple of
> Sun servers running RHEL 5.2. They all have fibre cards and are connected
> to a Sun 2540 Fibre Disk Array. I've allocated a chunk of disk space space
> on the SAN to be used for /home.
>
> Previously, I would have set up an NFS server and mounted /home from the
> other servers. But now, that everything is connected directly to the SAN I
> could mount /home directly without using NFS.
>
> Is this possible or am I still going to need an NFS server to control access
> to /home? The more I think about it, the more it worries me because /home
> is a logical volume. Can I have all the servers accessing this partion at
> the same time? If I can't have all the machines mount /home directly from
> the SAN, then that sort of defeats the purpose of having the SAN for /home,
> IMO.
>
> What would be the best way for setting this up?

Regards.
Sanjay Chakraborty

Old 10-02-2008, 04:54 AM
Andrey Meganov

You are right. However, there is one issue. GFS "does not" like
metadata intensive workload, i.e. lots of small files in a flat
dirextory structure. A lot of intercluster locking communication will
eat your performance.

This should be one of the improvements, introduced with GFS2, which is
still a tech. preview.

I suggest you try things out, but you might end up preferring NFS.
Sell one of the FC cards for a beer. ) lots of beer.

Regards,
Andrey

Sent from my iPhone as I am away from office

On 02.10.2008, at 6:56, "Sanjay Chakraborty" <sanjaychakrab@gmail.com>