-   -   RHEL vs SUSE (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/168792-rhel-vs-suse.html)

Mike Cronenworth 09-30-2008 09:56 PM

RHEL vs SUSE

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: RHEL vs SUSE
From: Aaron Bliss <abliss@brockport.edu>
To: 'General Red Hat Linux discussion list' <redhat-list@redhat.com>
Date: 09/30/2008 04:27 PM

You may want to look at centos instead of fedora. Binary equivalent of
RedHat ES. We use RedHat for our most critical boxes, just to be able to
call someone if we need to, even though we never do, and use centos
essentially whenever possible. For most issues, we post to this list, as we
rarely run into a problem that someone else hasn't already tackled.

Aaron

Unfortunately what I'm working with are people that do not believe in
"free" versions. Even if I explained that it was a copy of RHEL it is
still free and therefore inferior in their eyes. Spare me any antidote. :)

RHEL or SUSE are the only options on the table.

I would be using Fedora, but everyone knew I was using that and said
"No." quite readily. Ugh.

Ben Kevan 09-30-2008 10:36 PM

RHEL vs SUSE

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 02:23:51 pm Mike Cronenworth wrote:
> I would rarely ever need a support call out of SUSE or Red Hat. In fact,
> the larger side of my company doesn't set up any updates for SUSE and
> they always remain on the base version.
>
> It's record keeping software for pharmacy. We'd be using PostgreSQL for
> the database. It's terminal based currently, with a transition to a GTK2
> environment sometime in the next few years.
>
> I realize that they are essentially the same OSes with different names,
> but politically I am against SUSE. Also, there have been issues I've
> seen with SUSE on our bigger side of the company, which is already
> actively using SUSE. I guess in the end I will be developing in Fedora
> (as I do currently) and publishing in SUSE. Ugh.

We haven't had to call Tech Support on an issue that needed production level
resolution, but we do make "scenerio" and call tech support to gauge the
level of service we will be receiving.

I am guessing your bias against SUSE (Actually I believe you are referring to
SLES) is due to the Microsoft / Novell (semi something pact). If you fully
understand the pact, you'd understand it has no change on this front (Except
with XEN etc). If you want a SUSE equivalent you can also develop on openSUSE
(which I bet you're aware of).

What are the "issues ... on our bigger side" that you talk about?

But i'm with you, they are pretty much all in the same.

Ben

mark 09-30-2008 10:49 PM

RHEL vs SUSE

Mike Cronenworth wrote:
> -------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: RHEL vs SUSE From: Aaron
> Bliss <abliss@brockport.edu> To: 'General Red Hat Linux discussion list'
> <redhat-list@redhat.com> Date: 09/30/2008 04:27 PM
>
>> You may want to look at centos instead of fedora. Binary equivalent of
>> RedHat ES. We use RedHat for our most critical boxes, just to be able to
<snip>
> Unfortunately what I'm working with are people that do not believe in "free"
> versions. Even if I explained that it was a copy of RHEL it is still free
> and therefore inferior in their eyes. Spare me any antidote. :)
>
> RHEL or SUSE are the only options on the table.
>
> I would be using Fedora, but everyone knew I was using that and said "No."
> quite readily. Ugh.

Um, I wouldn't use Fedora in production. I'd use centos. When I was looking to
upgrade from RH9 a couple of years ago, at home, on my SOHO, I didn't want to
pay for RHEL, and my impression, along with everyone I spoke to, including my
old acquaintance ESR, felt that it was bleeding edge, not leading edge.

So it was kubunto or SUSE. I wound up with SUSE. If I'd known about CentOS, I'd
have gone that way.

mark

Andrey Meganov 10-01-2008 08:19 AM

RHEL vs SUSE

Suse has a lot of non mainstream technology, which they are
eliminating later, breaking the compatibility.

Like they used to offer reiserfs as a default fs. Which is ehhh
breaking badly sometimes.

They used to offer AppArmor, which is now being replaced.

There are more of such examples. Custom OpenOffice with early OOXML
support etc.

Do you really trust the company that changes their mind so
frequently? ;))

Br, andrey

P.s. I'll search for a couple of slides that compare both and send
them to you in case i find them.

Sent from my iPhone as I am away from office

On 01.10.2008, at 0:18, Mike Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:

Hi all,

The company I work for wants to force me to develop under SUSE
instead of what I requested: RHEL. I program for a small part of the
company that is usually forgotten about as currently our customers
are running our software on SCO. However, the larger part of my
company is using SUSE as their future environment and they wish to
develop all softwares on a single platform.

I don't blame them for wanting a single OS, but I'd love some
material showing how RHEL would benefit a smaller sized business
market versus SUSE. Is there a page similar to Novell's[1] marketing
page that I could use as ammunition for my choice for RHEL? A Red
Hat sales representative won't change their minds. Only I could, and
I think my chances of winning are slim to none. Red Hat's
interaction with the community and the community's interaction with
Red Hat has substantial more value in my eyes than SUSE's reliance
upon Microsoft's bidding.

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. I was given a copy of RHEL 5 a few months ago, but strangely
they have changed their minds.

[1] http://www.novell.com/products/server/compare.html
(click on the Red Hat tab to see the SUSE versus RHEL comparison)

Mike Cronenworth 10-01-2008 09:41 PM

RHEL vs SUSE

Suse has a lot of non mainstream technology, which they are eliminating
later, breaking the compatibility.

Like they used to offer reiserfs as a default fs. Which is ehhh breaking
badly sometimes.

They used to offer AppArmor, which is now being replaced.

There are more of such examples. Custom OpenOffice with early OOXML
support etc.

Do you really trust the company that changes their mind so frequently? ;))

Br, andrey

P.s. I'll search for a couple of slides that compare both and send them
to you in case i find them.

Hi Andrey,

Were you able to find those slides?

Thanks,