Old 09-30-2008, 08:58 PM
GT4NE1

Default Installing RHEL 5.2 on Sun hardware - Sun Universal Xport

Hello all,

I've got a new Sun Fire X4200 with an attached 2530 SAS array I'm
trying to install RHEL 5.2 x86_64 on. It seems to be seeing my SAS
RAID controller first because when the RHEL install goes to find the
disks it finds a Sun Universal Xport (16MB) at /dev/sda and my
internal RAID 1 SAS logical disk (64GB) at /dev/sdb

How can I get it to see the internal disk first so I can install to /dev/sdb?

I've tried searching about the Sun Universal Xport and it seem to be
some kind of booting from SAN thing which is why I think it sees the
2530 disks first.

Thanks,

GT

Old 10-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Andrey Meganov

Maybe I didn't get your idea, but maybe changing udev rules might help

Sent from my iPhone as I am away from office

Old 10-03-2008, 12:12 PM
"Mertens, Bram"

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

> Maybe I didn't get your idea, but maybe changing udev rules might help
>
> Sent from my iPhone as I am away from office
>

> On 01.10.2008, at 0:58, GT4NE1 <GT4NE1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I've got a new Sun Fire X4200 with an attached 2530 SAS array I'm
> > trying to install RHEL 5.2 x86_64 on. It seems to be seeing my SAS
> > RAID controller first because when the RHEL install goes to find the
> > disks it finds a Sun Universal Xport (16MB) at /dev/sda and my
> > internal RAID 1 SAS logical disk (64GB) at /dev/sdb
> >
> > How can I get it to see the internal disk first so I can
> install to /
> > dev/sdb?
> >
> > I've tried searching about the Sun Universal Xport and it seem to be
> > some kind of booting from SAN thing which is why I think it sees the
> > 2530 disks first.

[snip]

If the installer sees both disks it's only a matter of configuring the
partition layout correctly.

There's no reason to install to sda instead of sdb.

Regards

Bram

Old 10-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Andrey Meganov

It uses label-based mounting or lvm, so the device names dont matter.
Except for the bootloader.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:12 PM
GT4NE1

After working with Red Hat and them contacting Sun support, we figured
out there is no way to reorder the disks.

They were able to explain that the "Sun Universal Xport" device is a
default device that appears only when no other arrays/disks are
configured on the SAS array. It is used so that system administrators
can check connectivity before creating any arrays.

While I was waiting for support to reply, I determined I was using a
PCI-E LSI SAS1068E SAS card to connect to the external array, so I
went looking for new drivers.

I found
http://lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/standard_product_ics/sas_ics/lsisas1068e/index.html?remote=1&locale=E
and after installing the device driver, I was able to see my entire
allocated storage on the 2530 instead of just 20MB.

Still no way to reorder how it sees the drives though.

-GT

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 5:20 AM, Andrey Meganov <a.meganov@gmail.com> wrote:
> It uses label-based mounting or lvm, so the device names dont matter. Except
> for the bootloader.
>
> Sent from my iPhone as I am away from office
>

> On 03.10.2008, at 16:12, "Mertens, Bram" <mertensb@mazdaeur.com> wrote:
>

>> Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
>> VAT BE 406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100
>> 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

Matt Krause
krausem@gmail.com