-   -   RHEL vs SUSE (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/168754-rhel-vs-suse.html)

Ben Kevan 09-30-2008 08:30 PM

RHEL vs SUSE

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 01:18:29 pm Mike Cronenworth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The company I work for wants to force me to develop under SUSE instead
> of what I requested: RHEL. I program for a small part of the company
> that is usually forgotten about as currently our customers are running
> our software on SCO. However, the larger part of my company is using
> SUSE as their future environment and they wish to develop all softwares
> on a single platform.
>
> I don't blame them for wanting a single OS, but I'd love some material
> showing how RHEL would benefit a smaller sized business market versus
> SUSE. Is there a page similar to Novell's[1] marketing page that I could
> use as ammunition for my choice for RHEL? A Red Hat sales representative
> won't change their minds. Only I could, and I think my chances of
> winning are slim to none. Red Hat's interaction with the community and
> the community's interaction with Red Hat has substantial more value in
> my eyes than SUSE's reliance upon Microsoft's bidding.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> P.S. I was given a copy of RHEL 5 a few months ago, but strangely they
> have changed their minds.
>
> [1] http://www.novell.com/products/server/compare.html
> (click on the Red Hat tab to see the SUSE versus RHEL comparison)

I'd hate to say this but I've been overly disappointed with the RedHat Sales
and Technical personnel that have come in. In my work place I was actually
working to get SUSE, but a major project we are deploying only supported
RHEL4.

With that said.. what kind of program are they wanting you to develop? You
should be able to easily use it for both distributions.

Ben

Mike Cronenworth 09-30-2008 09:23 PM

RHEL vs SUSE