-   -   view contents of lpd print queue (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/168044-view-contents-lpd-print-queue.html)

"Thom Randolph" 09-29-2008 01:48 PM

view contents of lpd print queue

Hello:*
I'm running Red Hat Enterprise 5, and have set up an lpd queue to a*
remote printer (a Canon iR 7086) * Jobs are held in the queue on the*
printer until manually released and printed. *While the queue seems to*
be working - jobs show up there and print properly, I do not have any*
visibility of the jobs in the queue. *The command "lpstat -t" does not*
show any jobs, nor does "lpq". *The only place I have found the jobs*
visible is through the CUPS web interface, where I can view them as*
completed jobs, although they have not been printed and are still*
sitting in the queue. *My users need visibility of the queue so they*
can check the size/status of their print jobs before notifying the*
folks who actually control the queue and do the printing - the*
information available through CUPS shows different job numbers and is*
not sufficient for their purposes.*

On the Solaris 8 server that the Linux box is replacing, the "lpstat -t"*
command shows the contents of the queue - indeed, it now shows the*
jobs from the Linux server as well, so it is clearly getting the info*
from the printer. *Is there a built-in Linux command that will do the*
same? *Is there a another package that will provide this visibility*
from the Linux server?*

Thanks for your help.*

Thom*