Old 09-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Eric Maquiling

Default wrong command

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 06:50:00PM +0530, Vivek Mangal wrote:

>It changed the ownership of all directories with their respective files
>then how i can recover my system from this problem ?
[snip]

>Vivek Mangal
>System Administrator
>Red Hat Certified Engineer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow! I hope you don't have to work for me.
--
em

Old 09-26-2008, 04:45 PM
mark

Ben Kevan wrote:
> On Friday 26 September 2008 08:19:30 am mark wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Heh. I didn't read far enough to see that... and I, at least, would expect
>> an RHCE to know the answer.
>>
>> Ah, the meaningfulness of certifications....
>
> This just made my friday.

<G>
Thank you!

Y'know, I've semi-joked about either doing stand-up comic, a la Lewis Black, or
running for Congress....

mark

Old 09-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Ben

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008, mark wrote:

Ah, the meaningfulness of certifications....

This just made my friday.

<G>
Thank you!

Y'know, I've semi-joked about either doing stand-up comic, a la Lewis
Black, or running for Congress....

How are you with money?

Ben
Life Is Short. It's All Good.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:38 PM
mark

Ben wrote:

>>> This just made my friday.
>>
>> <G>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Y'know, I've semi-joked about either doing stand-up comic, a la Lewis
>> Black, or running for Congress....
>
> How are you with money?

You mean, would I force Treasury and the SEC by law to hire enough regulators
and auditors, who would be required to be all in-your-face types, and
prohibited from working in the financial industry in any way for five years
after they left the regulatory agencies?

Or did you mean me, personally? In that case, I'm "between positions", and
job-hunting madly.

mark

Old 09-26-2008, 05:38 PM
"Joy Methew"

very Confused...............and u???

Old 09-26-2008, 05:59 PM
"super naut"

You sorry*lot making snide remarks like these remind me of those soulless
assholes who always gather around crash scenes and snigger because "It's
funny 'cause it happended to someone else...".

*WTF are you doing on this here list if that's your attitude??

*

Old 09-26-2008, 06:37 PM
mark

super naut wrote:
> You sorry lot making snide remarks like these remind me of those soulless
> assholes who always gather around crash scenes and snigger because "It's
> funny 'cause it happended to someone else...".
>
> WTF are you doing on this here list if that's your attitude??

Consider this: most of us here have some, or a lot, of systems administration
experience. Things like this are something that someone should have learned in
the first term or first three months of playing with *Nix. When I've posted
here, it's after I've spent hours or days googling for answers. For someone who
has, in his .sig, that he's RHCE to ask this kind of thing tells me a) they
somehow passed the test without knowing what the answers meant, and b) that
they haven't even *tried* searching for the answer, or even spending a few
minutes thinking through the problem, or maybe even asking co-workers.

So if some of us get snippy with this kind of thing, deal with it - we feel as
though they've done *zero* homework.

Then there's folks here who come in and say "I know this, but don't know that,
(and even "I'm not a professional") and I've tried this, and it didn't work,
does anyone have any answers. Folks like that get answer, and all the help we
can give them.

mark

Old 09-26-2008, 07:16 PM

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 03:35:45PM +0200, FAUCONNIER Valery AWL-IT wrote:
> It's possible to retrieve file permissions belonging to a rpm package:
>
> rpm -qlv <name_of_package>

Thanks for a useful reply :-)

Old 09-26-2008, 07:42 PM

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 01:37:03PM -0500, mark wrote:
> super naut wrote:
> > You sorry lot making snide remarks like these remind me of those soulless
> > assholes who always gather around crash scenes and snigger because "It's
> > funny 'cause it happended to someone else...".
> >
> > WTF are you doing on this here list if that's your attitude??
> >
> Consider this: most of us here have some, or a lot, of systems administration
> experience. Things like this are something that someone should have learned in
> the first term or first three months of playing with *Nix. When I've posted
> here, it's after I've spent hours or days googling for answers.

Clearly, you also post whenever you feel like pissing on someone for not
meeting your exacting standards of what a system administrator should or
should not do.

Best Regards
Kent

Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 PM
mark

kent@songbird.com wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 01:37:03PM -0500, mark wrote:
>> super naut wrote:
<snip>
>> Consider this: most of us here have some, or a lot, of systems administration
>> experience. Things like this are something that someone should have learned in
>> the first term or first three months of playing with *Nix. When I've posted
>> here, it's after I've spent hours or days googling for answers.
>
> Clearly, you also post whenever you feel like pissing on someone for not
> meeting your exacting standards of what a system administrator should or
> should not do.

Clearly, you cut out, and did *not* read the rest of my reply. You know, the
part where I said, explicitly:
> Then there's folks here who come in and say "I know this, but don't know
> that,(and even "I'm not a professional") and I've tried this, and it didn't
> work, does anyone have any answers. Folks like that get answer, and all the
> help we can give them.

And I've posted enough help to folks who said "I'm not a sysadmin, I'm a
newbie..." and asked a question I thought was simple, but I've answered it.
THEY weren't explicitly claiming to be a RedHat Certified Engineer, who I *do*
expect to know Linux.

mark