-   -   Do you allocate all disk space to logical volumes duringinstallation? (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/166729-do-you-allocate-all-disk-space-logical-volumes-duringinstallation.html)

"Broekman, Maarten" 09-26-2008 12:35 PM

Do you allocate all disk space to logical volumes duringinstallation?

/boot can't be LVM
(http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.2/html/Inst
allation_Guide/ch04s18s04s02.html).

There's no technical reason why / can't be LVM though. In fact, the
"logvol" and "volgroup" LVM examples from the RHEL5 installation manuals
put / on a logvol. This is from the "Kickstart options" section
(http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.2/html/Inst
allation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html). If you use the "default"
disk partitioning layout, it also puts / on a logvol.

Personally, I create the partitions on my systems with a little space
for growth and leave the rest of the disk space unallocated. On a 146G
drive, I end up with the following:
/dev/mapper/ROOTVG-rootlv 5.0G 3.2G 1.6G 68% /
/dev/mapper/ROOTVG-tmplv 2.0G 100M 1.8G 6% /tmp
/dev/mapper/ROOTVG-optlv 9.7G 499M 8.8G 6% /opt
/dev/mapper/ROOTVG-varlv 5.0G 267M 4.5G 6% /var
/dev/mapper/ROOTVG-crashlv 64G 180M 63G 1% /var/crash
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 99M 26M 69M 27% /boot

And a swap logvol (14G)
/dev/mapper/ROOTVG-swaplv partition 14352376
0 -1

There's 36G unallocated and, if necessary, I can easily shrink a number
of partitions to reclaim space. The crash partition is a default size
for my systems because we tend to allocate the max memory size as a
crash partition.

Maarten Broekman
Email: maarten.broekman@fmr.com