Old 09-25-2008, 06:53 PM
mark

Default Can not find partitions in linux rescue after missing fstab

Hey, there,

Patil, Manjiri S wrote:

> I was playing around with my test machine to get details of linux boot
> process . I renamed my fstab file from /etc/fstab to /etc/fstab.old .
> Now if I boot machine to linux rescue mode to recover I get error saying
> there are no partition s to mount. If I try to mount it manually by
> giving
>
> mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
>
> I get error saying no such file and directory. I can't see root
> filesystem mounted.
>
> I also tried
>
> mount -o remount,rw /
>
> But didnn't help.
>
> I tried booting into single mode but I can not rename file as its
> mounted as read only.

When you boot off the rescue disk, it creates a virtual root filesystem, and
it's running completely from memory. So what you need to do is this: if there/s
no /mnt, make one. Then mount /dev/sda2 ->read/write - make *sure* it's that,
because I think the default is ro. Then you can rename fstab, and you should be
good to go.

mark