-   -   Can not find partitions in linux rescue after missing fstab (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/166314-can-not-find-partitions-linux-rescue-after-missing-fstab.html)

"Patil, Manjiri S" 09-25-2008 06:08 PM

Can not find partitions in linux rescue after missing fstab

Hi ,

I was playing around with my test machine to get details of linux boot
process . I renamed my fstab file from /etc/fstab to /etc/fstab.old .
Now if I boot machine to linux rescue mode to recover I get error saying
there are no partition s to mount. If I try to mount it manually by
giving

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt

I get error saying no such file and directory. I can't see root
filesystem mounted.

I also tried

mount -o remount,rw /

But didnn't help.

I tried booting into single mode but I can not rename file as its
mounted as read only.

How do I get back my original fstab .

Thanks for help .