Old 09-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Ryan Golhar

Default resizing swap space

I have RHEL 5.2 installed an need to resize the swap space. I followed
the default installation so the entire drive is allocated to the root
filesystem and some space was reserved for swap and for /boot.

I now need to shrink the root filesystem, but must unmount it first. The
problem is I can't unmount the root filesystem. So, I think I must boot
from a CD, then modify the size of the filesystem.

I checked out a few liveCDs but non mentioned anything about containing
the LVM tools or fsprogs utilities. Does anyone know which livecd or
how I can resize the root filesystem?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:10 PM
"Erling Ringen Elvsrud"

2008/9/25 Ryan Golhar <golharam@umdnj.edu>:
> I have RHEL 5.2 installed an need to resize the swap space. I followed the
> default installation so the entire drive is allocated to the root filesystem
> and some space was reserved for swap and for /boot.

A different approach is to add a file in the root fs for swap instead
of adding a dedicated partition / logical volume.
The performance will be somewhat lower than from a partition / lv, but
it is much simpler and less risky to add.
You can also use the pri=<priority> option in fstab so that the swap
partition is used first, and only if that becomes full the
swap file is used.

Best regards,

Erling Ringen Elvsrud

Old 09-26-2008, 04:38 PM
"Wayne Pinette"

Your install C.D. should have a rescue option which will allow you to mount and unmount your install.

Another option by the way, if swap performance is not a key issue here, is to just use a swap file somewhere on your drive to add to your swap space.
There is a lot of documentation on that.

Wayner