Old 09-24-2008, 08:37 PM

Default U.S. based Linux mag

I like the UK mag LINUX Format.

I'm looking for a US based one that will has the disks etc like LXF.

I've not found one at the local books store or computer shop, so anyone have a suggestion?

ThanX

Buddy

Old 09-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 01:37:14PM -0700, buddyj@msn.com wrote:
> I like the UK mag LINUX Format.
>
> I'm looking for a US based one that will has the disks etc like LXF.
>
> I've not found one at the local books store or computer shop, so
> anyone have a suggestion?

What do you mean "has the disks" ? Does LXF include DVD's/CD's with
their issues containing software?

In any case, I subscribe to the Linux Journal and have been very happy
with its content. It definitely doesn't ship "disks" along with each
issue though. :-)

Ray

Old 09-24-2008, 09:19 PM
"a s p a s i a"

> What do you mean "has the disks" ? Does LXF include DVD's/CD's with
> their issues containing software?

perhaps he means like the old-school UNIX and earlier Redhat books and
PowerTools large manuals where a CD of scripts are included as a bonus
at the end of the book? (ie., Unix Power Tools, Mastering UNIX
Daemons, etc....)

sort of like free perfume in fashion magazines? ..;-)

but it's useless now to insert DVDs i would think, since they're all
just downloadable from any blogsite, various help forums, etc.... all
the scripting tools and help stuff is just too google'able, no point
in shipping DVDs ....

unlike perfume inserts ...

Old 09-24-2008, 09:22 PM

yes, bootable dvd's with one to several distros(fedora is usually by itself), games, utilities etc. Good way to test distro's and view various other new open source offerings. Sept issue had 5 full distros: 64 Studio,Open Suse 11.0, Linux Mint and 2 others I forgot.> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:02:29 -0700> From: rvandolson@esri.com> To: redhat-list@redhat.com> Subject: Re: U.S. based Linux mag> > On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 01:37:14PM -0700, buddyj@msn.com wrote:> > I like the UK mag LINUX Format.> > > > I'm looking for a US based one that will has the disks etc like LXF.> > > > I've not found one at the local books store or computer shop, so> > anyone have a suggestion?> > What do you mean "has the disks" ? Does LXF include DVD's/CD's with> their issues containing software?> > In any case, I subscribe to the Linux Journal and have been very happy> with its content. It definitely doesn't ship "disks" along with each> issue though. :-)> > Ray> > -- > redhat-list mailing list> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list