Old 09-23-2008, 03:11 PM
mark

Default Do you allocate all disk space to logical volumes during installation?

Joey Prestia wrote:
> Erling Ringen Elvsrud wrote:
>> Hello list,
>
>> It is often hard to know how much space is needed for
>> different mount points. Increasing the size of a filesystem is commonly
>> described as a safer operation than reducing the size. Do you think
>> saving space (not absolutely needed) for later is a good idea / common practice?
>
> It is a very good practice to use LVM partitions for any that you
> believe may need to grow later down the road. And we never partition the
> whole disk. You may never need it. But if you do need that space later
> it is invaluable to not have to shut down a machine and add a drive. I
> have found It to be very handy to have the foresight to do this and used
> it many times to be advantageous.

Yup. As I said in my article "Upgrading Linux" in the July '07 SysAdmin (now
ceased publication, dammit), I recommend LVM for /usr, /home, and *very* much
for /opt (since so much software these days wants to be there). I would *never*
use LVM for /boot or /

Size: 100M or so for /boot; 4G-8G for /, 20G for /usr, 4G for /var, ditto for
/tmp, and lots and lots for /opt and /home.

mark