Old 09-21-2008, 12:17 AM
"lists@grounded.net"

Default Virtualizing KDE's

I was not able to find a redhat virtual server list so thought I'd start here.

I want to build a virtual server which I can use to create an unlimited number of KDE based desktops. I need to find a good distro or guest which is optimized to do this.

This would allow me to shut down a number of machines sitting around doing minor tasks, virtualizing them as things should be these days.

I've been playing with vmware but I would like to look at alternatives. In addition, I would like to be able to find the right combination which will allow me to run as many of these as I might need.

The test servers I have been using vmware on are xeon based which seem to run vmware very well and which I'd like to keep using. The guests use network storage for their space requirements.

Looking for thoughts, thanks very much.

Mike

Old 09-21-2008, 02:56 AM
"Ben Kevan"

What are the management requirements? I'm not sure what you mean
virtualized kde. Do you mean a linux distro virtualzed running the kde
desktop environment? What would these machines be doing? How many
machines? What flavor of vmware are you running? Will this environment
be production ever?

So many other variables.

On 9/20/08, lists@grounded.net <lists@grounded.net> wrote:
> I was not able to find a redhat virtual server list so thought I'd start
> here.
>
> I want to build a virtual server which I can use to create an unlimited
> number of KDE based desktops. I need to find a good distro or guest which is
> optimized to do this.
>
> This would allow me to shut down a number of machines sitting around doing
> minor tasks, virtualizing them as things should be these days.
>
> I've been playing with vmware but I would like to look at alternatives. In
> addition, I would like to be able to find the right combination which will
> allow me to run as many of these as I might need.
>
> The test servers I have been using vmware on are xeon based which seem to
> run vmware very well and which I'd like to keep using. The guests use
> network storage for their space requirements.
>
> Looking for thoughts, thanks very much.
>
> Mike

Sent from my mobile device

Old 09-21-2008, 02:58 AM
"Ben Kevan"

What are the management requirements? I'm not sure what you mean
virtualized kde. Do you mean a linux distro virtualzed running the kde
desktop environment? What would these machines be doing? How many
machines? What flavor of vmware are you running? Will this environment
be production ever?

So many other variables.

On 9/20/08, lists@grounded.net <lists@grounded.net> wrote:
> I was not able to find a redhat virtual server list so thought I'd start
> here.
>
> I want to build a virtual server which I can use to create an unlimited
> number of KDE based desktops. I need to find a good distro or guest which is
> optimized to do this.
>
> This would allow me to shut down a number of machines sitting around doing
> minor tasks, virtualizing them as things should be these days.
>
> I've been playing with vmware but I would like to look at alternatives. In
> addition, I would like to be able to find the right combination which will
> allow me to run as many of these as I might need.
>
> The test servers I have been using vmware on are xeon based which seem to
> run vmware very well and which I'd like to keep using. The guests use
> network storage for their space requirements.
>
> Looking for thoughts, thanks very much.
>
> Mike

Sent from my mobile device

Old 09-21-2008, 02:59 AM
mark

lists@grounded.net wrote:
> I was not able to find a redhat virtual server list so thought I'd start
> here.
>
> I want to build a virtual server which I can use to create an unlimited
> number of KDE based desktops. I need to find a good distro or guest which is
> optimized to do this.
>
> This would allow me to shut down a number of machines sitting around doing
> minor tasks, virtualizing them as things should be these days.

Um, why not simply run the KDE server on those machines, with the one server
being the client (remember, X has the words client and server bass ackwards
from everyone else's use of the terms)? I mean, I could install something like
Chameleon, or any of the F/OSS that runs under WinDoze; if the other boxes you
want to run 'em on are Linux, that's not even a problem.

Or you could increase the number of virtual desktops under KDE from the default 4.

mark

mark

Old 09-21-2008, 03:06 AM
"lists@grounded.net"

>*virtualized kde. Do you mean a linux distro virtualzed running the kde
>*desktop environment? What would these machines be doing? How many
>*machines?

I have 10 users with their own physical machines. I'd like to have their desktop be VM's on the network and be able to support them from the one server. The machines aren't all being used at the same time and they aren't being used for anything too intensive, web applications, email, etc, no graphics or the likes.

I'm running vmware 2.0 but am wondering about the redhat virtualization server which is on the install disk. I had installed it on a centos machine but never got around to using it. Now I'm back on rhel5 and wanting to install it and give it a try.

Yes, production but for testing, doesn't matter.

Mike

Old 09-21-2008, 03:08 AM
"lists@grounded.net"

>*So many other variables.

As for other variables, sure, there are tons but the main point is just wondering if the Virtualization server which comes with rhel would do what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a good combination server but with a relatively small footprint client workstation that would fit the bill.

Mike

Old 09-21-2008, 03:25 AM
mark

lists@grounded.net wrote:
>> virtualized kde. Do you mean a linux distro virtualzed running the kde
>> desktop environment? What would these machines be doing? How many
>> machines?
>
> I have 10 users with their own physical machines. I'd like to have their
> desktop be VM's on the network and be able to support them from the one
> server. The machines aren't all being used at the same time and they aren't
> being used for anything too intensive, web applications, email, etc, no
> graphics or the likes.
<snip>
Again - why not have them run remotely from the one server, just as separate
users? Do they absolutely have to think they're on their own server by themselves?

mark

Old 09-21-2008, 03:33 AM
"lists@grounded.net"

>*Um, why not simply run the KDE server on those machines, with the one server
>*being the client (remember, X has the words client and server bass ackwards
>*from everyone else's use of the terms)? I mean, I could install something
>*like
>*Chameleon, or any of the F/OSS that runs under WinDoze; if the other boxes
>*you want to run 'em on are Linux, that's not even a problem.

I'm not very familiar with X to be honest so am not sure of it's capabilities. I think it would be perfect for what I'm talking about, basic machines for email, web browsing etc.

I don't want to change their machines, I just want them to be able to have a work environment that I can maintain. I was thinking vm because all it takes is a little client and they have remote access to a centralized server. I also have a bunch of machines running various things which do nothing else. It would be better to move those to a vm environment.

So, partly, it's to learn, mostly, it's to eventually be able to use it.

Mike

Old 09-21-2008, 03:36 AM
"lists@grounded.net"

>*Again - why not have them run remotely from the one server, just as separate
>*users? Do they absolutely have to think they're on their own server by
>*themselves?

Can you explain this a little more. Like I said, I've played with X a few times but have not had the chance to get to know it so am not sure of it's capabilities. Also, I don't want to change their machines, they can use them for their own personal use, it's the business side I don't want messing with their personal sides. When they start screwing their machines up, they always end up taking a ton of my time when it's not even related to business apps. Being able to give them a virtual remote machine would be an interesting way for me to learn about virtualization and possible take care of this problem.

Mike

Old 09-21-2008, 04:21 PM
mark

lists@grounded.net wrote:
>> Again - why not have them run remotely from the one server, just as
>> separate users? Do they absolutely have to think they're on their own
>> server by themselves?
>
> Can you explain this a little more. Like I said, I've played with X a few
> times but have not had the chance to get to know it so am not sure of it's
> capabilities. Also, I don't want to change their machines, they can use them
> for their own personal use, it's the business side I don't want messing with
> their personal sides. When they start screwing their machines up, they
> always end up taking a ton of my time when it's not even related to business
> apps. Being able to give them a virtual remote machine would be an
> interesting way for me to learn about virtualization and possible take care
> of this problem.

Ok, figuring out how advanced you are is always a problem with new folks.

First: virtualization is setting up a meta-o/s, so that everyone in a given
virtual server thinks and acts as though they have a real server of their very
own. I can think back to the late seventies, on IBM mainframes, and regions or
partitions (DOS/VSE vs. MVS).

X is like Windows 3.x, *NOT* 95 or NT. It's a GUI windowing environment running
on top of the O/S, not part of it. (The #1 thing I hold against its design.) If
you think of a d/b server, and other machines pointing to it for their queries,
X is like that. Frequently, you're on the same machine; but you can be on any
machine. In that case, it's exactly like the old mainframe environments with
terminals.

Terminology: as I mentioned, X terminology is absolutely the opposite of the
way *every* other usage of it is. If it were a d/b, in X terminology, the d/b
server would be the client, and the machines calling it would be the servers.

Wrapped your head around that? No, as far as I'm concerned, it makes no sense
either, but that's what they did at MIT in the eighties....

So you can set up the global defaults on one server, so that unless folks
customize their own environment, they log in on their machines, they
effectively log into the X-terminology "client", and all come into X with
exactly the same stuff, running on that server, not on their own.

mark "are you confused enough?"