-   -   gpasswd (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/162921-gpasswd.html)

"Joy Methew" 09-19-2008 05:52 PM

gpasswd

hello all,
anybody can explain me what is use of group password.where we
can use group password"gpasswd".
Thanks

Phil Savoie 09-19-2008 06:32 PM

gpasswd

Joy Methew wrote:
> hello all,
> anybody can explain me what is use of group password.where we
> can use group password"gpasswd".
> Thanks

Hello Joy,

The gpasswd command is used to employ a group password on a certain group.

The idea behind this is to be able to "join" a group You don't belong
to, by using the "newgrp" command. After satisfying the group password
for that group, your primary group is now the group you joined.

To go back to your original primary group, just type exit.

Hope this helps,

Phil