Old 09-19-2008, 10:57 AM
"TopCom 900"

Default System Monitoring Tool: PandoraFMS 2.0 released

Sorry for the off-topic but I think this might be interesing for all the
sysadmins in here.

Pandora FMS is a monitoring software. It watches your systems and
applications, and allows you to know the status of any element of those
systems (hardware, software, sensors, network equipment, etc).

Pandora FMS can monitor Windows remotely (through WMI), any device via TCP
and/or ICMP checks, and any SNMP device through polling and trap reception.
Also allows to reuse user-defined "plugins" that make remote checks, like
execute remote commands, connecting devices by telnet to gather data, etc.

Pandora FMS can perform periodical network reconnissances to discover new
hosts and devices on the network and can create a visual network map, with
its network topology and OS type. Pandora FMS also has an WYSIWYG AJAX
Visual Console editor for interactive map creation;

It has also advanced features like data replication across multiple Pandora
FMS setups, pattern-anomaly detection, a prediction engine, a event
notificacion manager and a correlation alert system.

Besides agentless monitoring it has software agents that can be installed in
most OS on the market, these agents can be remotely configured from the
Console, and are able to process logs from Windows and Unix systems.

Reporting features include user defined reports: SLA checks, real time
graphs, and much more possibilities thanks to its SQL automanaged backend.

Development of stable version 2.0 of Pandora FMS is over. After a long
period of testing, Pandora FMS team has finished development for this
version that introduces great features from previous version.

Some changes from last version are.

* WMI Remote Monitoring Server (Windows)
* Plugin Server to reuse user-programmed network checks.
* Prediction Server to detect anomalies in patterns.
* Export Server to replicate data across multiple Pandora FMS setups.
* Network Map with OS autodetection and topology discovery.
* New Visual Console in AJAX for interactive map creation.
* Agent remote configuration from the Console.
* Advanced alert correlation.
* Log processing (Windows and Unix).

PandoraFMS website is:
http://www.pandorafms.com

You can download Pandora FMS v2.0 and upgrade tool from:

http://www.pandorafms.com/index.php?lang=en&sec=pandora&sec2=download

Old 09-19-2008, 02:34 PM
mark

TopCom 900 wrote:
> Sorry for the off-topic but I think this might be interesing for all the
> sysadmins in here.
>
> Pandora FMS is a monitoring software. It watches your systems and
> applications, and allows you to know the status of any element of those
> systems (hardware, software, sensors, network equipment, etc).
<snip>
What does it offer that Nagios doesn't?

mark

Old 09-19-2008, 05:26 PM
"Mike Burger"

> TopCom 900 wrote:
>> Sorry for the off-topic but I think this might be interesing for all the
>> sysadmins in here.
>>
>> Pandora FMS is a monitoring software. It watches your systems and
>> applications, and allows you to know the status of any element of those
>> systems (hardware, software, sensors, network equipment, etc).
> <snip>
> What does it offer that Nagios doesn't?

Who says it has to offer anything different? Isn't it enough that it's an
option that sysadmins can investigate?

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Old 09-19-2008, 05:50 PM
mark

Mike Burger wrote:
>> TopCom 900 wrote:
>>> Sorry for the off-topic but I think this might be interesing for all the
>>> sysadmins in here.
>>>
>>> Pandora FMS is a monitoring software. It watches your systems and
>>> applications, and allows you to know the status of any element of those
>>> systems (hardware, software, sensors, network equipment, etc).
>> <snip>
>> What does it offer that Nagios doesn't?
>
> Who says it has to offer anything different? Isn't it enough that it's an
> option that sysadmins can investigate?

<shakes head>
A lot of admins, not to say companies, are conservative about this, and nagios
is in very common use. If they want folks to leave what works for them, they
need to offer a reason to change.

mark

Old 09-19-2008, 06:11 PM
"Mike Burger"

> Mike Burger wrote:
applications, and allows you to know the status of any element of
those
>>> <snip>
>>> What does it offer that Nagios doesn't?
>> Who says it has to offer anything different? Isn't it enough that it's an
>> option that sysadmins can investigate?
> <shakes head>
> A lot of admins, not to say companies, are conservative about this, and
nagios
> is in very common use. If they want folks to leave what works for them,
they
> need to offer a reason to change.

Isn't that up to the admins to look, evaluate, and determine whether
there's a reason to change?

>From what I read (looking at the site for the product), it's another
free/open source product, which is being offered.

I didn't read anything that indicated that Mark was suggesting that anyone
move away from what they're using...only that there's a product out there
for sysadmins to take a look at, and decide for themselves if it's
something that they're interested in.

If the original message had looked like Mark was trying to sell a product,
I'd be more inclined to agree with your questioning him, directly. Since
neither product is a sold product, at least in base form, then I would
think it's up to the admins in question to determine whether or not they
want to take the time to check it out, or to simply live with what they
have and move on.

Of course, that could just be me. :-D

Old 09-19-2008, 06:14 PM
"Mike Burger"

Oops...not "Mark"..."TopCom"

Sorry.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:29 PM
mark

Mike Burger wrote:
> Oops...not "Mark"..."TopCom"
>
> Sorry.

I was wondering....

mark

Old 09-19-2008, 06:57 PM
"Mike Burger"

> Mike Burger wrote:
>> Oops...not "Mark"..."TopCom"
>>
>> Sorry.
>>
> I was wondering....
>
> mark

Yeah...not sure if it's not enough sleep or too much sleep.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:11 PM
mark

Mike Burger wrote:
>> Mike Burger wrote:
>>> Oops...not "Mark"..."TopCom"
>>>
>>> Sorry.
>>>
>> I was wondering....
>>
> Yeah...not sure if it's not enough sleep or too much sleep.

Too much blood in the coffee stream? <g>

mark, about to go make....

Old 09-19-2008, 07:12 PM
"Mike Burger"

> Mike Burger wrote:

>>> I was wondering....
>>>
>> Yeah...not sure if it's not enough sleep or too much sleep.
>
> Too much blood in the coffee stream? <g>
>
> mark, about to go make....

More than likely. ;-)