Old 09-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Ben Kevan

Default smbd dead but pid file exists "frustration"

Samba will not start on a server of mine:

sudo /sbin/service smb start
Starting SMB services: [ OK ]
Starting NMB services: [ OK ]

sudo /sbin/service smb status
smbd dead but pid file exists
nmbd (pid 13503) is running...

cat smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = global
server string = Samba Server Version %v
netbios name = devserver
server string = Samba Server
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
read only = No
local master = No
dos filetime resolution = yes

[tmp]
path = /tmp

testparm
Processing section "[tmp]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

sudo /sbin/service smb stop
Shutting down SMB services: [FAILED]
Shutting down NMB services: [ OK ]

pwd
/var/run

ll | grep smb
(nothong)

Yet.. it still will not start.. sometimes it has.. but then restarting it
(with no changes to smb.conf) then it will not start.

What gives?

Old 09-18-2008, 06:26 PM
"Raman, Pattabhi"

Check if there is any pid file in /proc

Old 09-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Ken Rossman

You are looking for the file smbd.pid in this case. Shut down smbd
and nmbd
(i.e. shut down samba), then look for smbd.pid and nmbd.pid, and
delete them
when you find them. If samba is shut down, these files should not
exist.

Likely, they are in:

SAMBATEMPLOC/lib/<servername>/*.pid

Where SAMBATEMPLOC is the location where Samba keeps temp files it needs
while running (e.g. /usr/lib/samba, /usr/local/samba, /var/lib/
samba), and

<servername> is the name of your Samba server host.

Ken

Old 09-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Ben Kevan

On Thursday 18 September 2008 11:36:04 am Ken Rossman wrote:
> You are looking for the file smbd.pid in this case. Shut down smbd
> and nmbd
> (i.e. shut down samba), then look for smbd.pid and nmbd.pid, and
> delete them
> when you find them. If samba is shut down, these files should not
> exist.
>
> Likely, they are in:
>
> SAMBATEMPLOC/lib/<servername>/*.pid
>
> Where SAMBATEMPLOC is the location where Samba keeps temp files it needs
> while running (e.g. /usr/lib/samba, /usr/local/samba, /var/lib/
> samba), and
> <servername> is the name of your Samba server host.
>
> Ken

Hi Ken and Pattabhi,

I guess I should have noted that when they are shutdown, there is no pid
anywhere.

So I know there is no dead pid, only time I get a dead pid is when I try to
start smb. It starts ok, then dies leaving the pid (which stopping it
clears).

But why is it stopping? testparm is fine, and the smb.conf works fine on
another box.

This is a 64-Bit box.. btw..

netstat -an shows it's listening on 445

(snip from /etc/services)
microsoft-ds 445/tcp
microsoft-ds 445/udp

netstat -an | grep 445
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN

Old 09-18-2008, 11:08 PM
"David Bear"

On 9/18/08, Ben Kevan <ben.kevan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 18 September 2008 11:36:04 am Ken Rossman wrote:
> > You are looking for the file smbd.pid in this case. Shut down smbd
> > and nmbd
> > (i.e. shut down samba), then look for smbd.pid and nmbd.pid, and
> > delete them
> > when you find them. If samba is shut down, these files should not
> > exist.
> >
> > Likely, they are in:
> >
> > SAMBATEMPLOC/lib/<servername>/*.pid
> >
> > Where SAMBATEMPLOC is the location where Samba keeps temp files it needs
> > while running (e.g. /usr/lib/samba, /usr/local/samba, /var/lib/
> > samba), and
> > <servername> is the name of your Samba server host.
> >
> > Ken
>

> Hi Ken and Pattabhi,
>
> I guess I should have noted that when they are shutdown, there is no pid
> anywhere.
>
> So I know there is no dead pid, only time I get a dead pid is when I try to
> start smb. It starts ok, then dies leaving the pid (which stopping it
> clears).
>
> But why is it stopping? testparm is fine, and the smb.conf works fine on
> another box.
>
> This is a 64-Bit box.. btw..
>
> netstat -an shows it's listening on 445
>
> (snip from /etc/services)
> microsoft-ds 445/tcp
> microsoft-ds 445/udp
>
> netstat -an | grep 445
> tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN

Don't use the startup script in /etc/init.d/ -- or whereever it is. Start
smbd directly. Look at the samba.org website for the startup parameters for
smbd. I think you may find an option to leave smbd in the foreground in
which case you will see any debug messages sent to the console. You might
also try looking for samba log files in /var/log/samba to see if there are
any usefull messages in log.smbd -- or whatever the config file names the
logs.

You really should also do something like
find /var/run -name "*.pid"
just to make sure there really isn't a stale pid file.

--
David Bear
College of Public Programs at ASU