-   -   firefox 3 not starting RHEL ES 4 (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/162267-firefox-3-not-starting-rhel-es-4-a.html)

"Tangren, Bill" 09-18-2008 01:55 PM

firefox 3 not starting RHEL ES 4

When I recently upgraded all my RHEL ES 4 servers to the latest minor
version (don't remember what the number is right now, but think it is
6), firefox stopped working for users, but would still work for root. I
saw the thread about how it could be an NFS lock problem, but I don't
use NFS. This is the error I get when I try to start firefox from the
command line:

/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.1/firefox-bin: error while loading shared
libraries: libpangocairo-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory

But I have pango installed.

This error is all over the internet for various OS's like Cent OS and
Debian, but I can't find a solution. See this link:

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?locale=fr&forumId=
1&comments_parentId=73375

as an example. The comments in the NFS thread indicated that it might be
a permissions problem on the ~/.firefox directory, but the permissions
are 775 in the example I give. Does anyone know what might be the
problem?

---
Bill Tangren
U.S. Naval Observatory

Paul Whitney 09-18-2008 02:16 PM

firefox 3 not starting RHEL ES 4

Bill,

This might be a trivial check, but did you look at the permission to the
directory where the shared library is? It maybe that the directory
permissions are set to 700.

I ran into a similar problem with my locked down box and forgot to open up
the umask. So when I installed the updates, Firefox would not launch. A
simple chmod fixed my problem.

Paul W
WINS

"Tangren, Bill" 09-18-2008 03:03 PM

firefox 3 not starting RHEL ES 4

You are definitely on the right track. The directory (and its
subdirectory) where libpangocairo had permissions of 700. I had to
change them to 755 before I made any progress. Now I get this error:

(Gecko:31008): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module
file '/usr/evolution28/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders': Permission
denied

The problem here is, this file exists, but not in this location. It
exists at /usr/evolution28/etc/gtk-2.0/linux*/gdk-pixbuf.loaders

As a user, if I try to ls
/usr/evolution28/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders, I get a permission
denied. As root, if I do it, I get "file not found".

Does this directory maybe need to have world write privileges?

"Jose R R" 09-18-2008 09:45 PM

firefox 3 not starting RHEL ES 4

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Tangren, Bill
<bill.tangren@usno.navy.mil>wrote:

I do not know if this will help you, Bill, since the following info is from
one of my partitions that has CentOS5.

The directory that contains the gdk-pixbuf.loaders file has the following
attributes:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-05-24 08:54
/etc/gtk-2.0/i686-redhat-linux-gnu/

whereas the actual file that you referenced above:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3142 2008-08-11 07:14
/etc/gtk-2.0/i686-redhat-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf.loaders

> [...]

Jose R Rodriguez
Metztli Information Technology <http://www.metztli-it.com>
San Jose, California.

"Clark, Patti" 09-19-2008 12:01 PM

firefox 3 not starting RHEL ES 4

I opened a ticket with RH on this exact issue. So far, it's going
nowhere since their viewpoint is my "non-standard umask" is my problem.
Fixing the /usr/evolution28 tree will not fix the entire problem. I
take it that you have already addressed perms on /etc/gconf? It's been
a while, I think I found perm problems with /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.1 and
there are issues with the "old" local user .mozilla directory. So far,
deleting it allows firefox to recreate it correctly. Unfortunately,
there is the issue of recovering bookmarks and other custom settings.
This is a non-trivial exercise when the install count is beyond a small
number. I use Satellite to push out my updates, so changing the umask
for updates is not a working solution either. IMHO, my local umask
settings should not be a factor in RPM handling. RH should not be
making default umask assumptions and in most cases they don't.

Patti Clark
DOE/OSTI