Old 09-15-2008, 03:16 AM
"Hugh E Cruickshank"

Default RHEL3.9 upgrade Apache 2.0.46 to 2.0.59

RHEL3.9 Apache 2.0.46

Hi All:

For security reasons it looks like I may need to upgrade the Apache
httpd software on one of my production servers. The server in
question is currently running RHEL3 Update 9 which includes Apache
2.0.46. I have been asked to disable the HTTP TRACE which appears
to be enabled by default. I have located the TraceEnable config
parameter but this appears to be only available in 2.0.55+. I have
check the Apache site and they have an RPM available for 2.0.59.

I am hesitant to upgrade a production sever with other than Red Hat
supplied and tested packages for the primary server components. I
do not mind doing this for add-ons and utilities but not something
as key as the web server software.

My questions are:

1. Is this really required or can I disable the HTTP TRACE using
another method?

2. Has anyone done this type of upgrade and did you encounter any
problems?

Any additional comments or suggestions welcome.

TIA

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com

Old 09-15-2008, 03:48 AM
mark

Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> RHEL3.9 Apache 2.0.46
>
> Hi All:
>
> For security reasons it looks like I may need to upgrade the Apache
> httpd software on one of my production servers. The server in
> question is currently running RHEL3 Update 9 which includes Apache
> 2.0.46. I have been asked to disable the HTTP TRACE which appears
<snip>
> My questions are:
<snip>
> 2. Has anyone done this type of upgrade and did you encounter any
> problems?

Didn't see any problems about a year ago, going from 2.0.4-somethingorother to
2.0.59 - even used the same httpd.conf and ssl.conf (though I'd save them, to
make sure they weren't overwritten).

mark

Old 09-15-2008, 06:53 PM
"Hugh E Cruickshank"

From: mark Sent: September 14, 2008 20:49
> Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> > RHEL3.9 Apache 2.0.46
> >
> > Hi All:
> >
> > For security reasons it looks like I may need to upgrade the Apache
> > httpd software on one of my production servers. The server in
> > question is currently running RHEL3 Update 9 which includes Apache
> > 2.0.46. I have been asked to disable the HTTP TRACE which appears
> <snip>
> > My questions are:
> <snip>
> > 2. Has anyone done this type of upgrade and did you encounter any
> > problems?
>
> Didn't see any problems about a year ago, going from
> 2.0.4-somethingorother to
> 2.0.59 - even used the same httpd.conf and ssl.conf (though I'd
> save them, to
> make sure they weren't overwritten).

Hi Mark:

Thanks for the feedback. That makes me feel more comfortable with
the upgrade.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com