Old 09-11-2008, 08:31 PM
"Miner, Jonathan W (US SSA)"

Default tape

You need to specify the "no rewind" device... /dev/nst0

You will need to seek to the end of the tape before writing new data to the tape. Look at the "st" and "mt" man pages.

I don't know any way to know how much free space is on a tape; it's complicated due to compression since you don't really care how much tape is left, but how much data will fit on that tape.... which depends on how well the data will compress.