Old 09-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Cesar Covarrubias

Default Incremental Backups to NTFS NAS

Hello All,

I have a client that wants to do incremental backups of his RHEL4 box,
but does not want to go with our current vendor backup solution.
Instead, they would like to back all the files up to a NAS that is using
NTFS and Windows file shares to connect to it. I mounted the NAS and
tried to use the solution found at
http://www.howtoforge.com/rsync_incremental_snapshot_backups , but kept
getting errors when the script tried to create a sym link to files
stored on the NAS with the error "cannot create link... Operation not
permitted". Has anyone had experience setting up incremental backups
from a linux box to an NTFS NAS?

Any help is appreciated.

Very Respectfully,
Cesar Covarrubias

Old 09-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Chaim Rieger

Cesar Covarrubias wrote:

Hello All,

I have a client that wants to do incremental backups of his RHEL4 box,
but does not want to go with our current vendor backup solution.
Instead, they would like to back all the files up to a NAS that is using
NTFS and Windows file shares to connect to it. I mounted the NAS and
tried to use the solution found at
http://www.howtoforge.com/rsync_incremental_snapshot_backups , but kept
getting errors when the script tried to create a sym link to files
stored on the NAS with the error "cannot create link... Operation not
permitted". Has anyone had experience setting up incremental backups
from a linux box to an NTFS NAS?

Any help is appreciated.

Very Respectfully,
Cesar Covarrubias

ntfs and windows do permissions differently.

which one are you asking about ?

Chaim Rieger

Old 09-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Cesar Covarrubias

> > I have a client that wants to do incremental backups of his RHEL4 box,
> > but does not want to go with our current vendor backup solution.
> > Instead, they would like to back all the files up to a NAS that is using
> > NTFS and Windows file shares to connect to it. I mounted the NAS and
> > tried to use the solution found at
> > http://www.howtoforge.com/rsync_incremental_snapshot_backups , but kept
> > getting errors when the script tried to create a sym link to files
> > stored on the NAS with the error "cannot create link... Operation not
> > permitted". Has anyone had experience setting up incremental backups
> > from a linux box to an NTFS NAS?
> >

> ntfs and windows do permissions differently.
>
> which one are you asking about ?

The NAS is using NTFS. I had to connect to it by running the following:

mount -t smbfs -o
username=name,password=password //nas.hostname.edu/share /mountpoint

Very Respectfully,
Cesar Covarrubias

Old 09-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Chaim Rieger

Cesar Covarrubias wrote:

ntfs and windows do permissions differently.

which one are you asking about ?

The NAS is using NTFS. I had to connect to it by running the following:

mount -t smbfs -o
username=name,password=password //nas.hostname.edu/share /mountpoint

Very Respectfully,
Cesar Covarrubias

map user to root via ntfs mount options

should work

Chaim Rieger

Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 AM
"Johan Booysen"

How about something like this:
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/tar/Incremental-Dumps.html

Not sure if it's the "best" way of doing it, but maybe it helps you
towards finding a solution.