Old 09-05-2008, 03:43 PM
"Clark, Patti"

Default Keeping time on an air-gapped network

How is anyone managing time on an air-gapped network? Also, I am
looking to set up a RHEL server to be THE time server. Suggestions on
how to set that up without an available external time service? Is there
better reading material other than the man pages?

Patti Clark
Sr. Unix System Administrator - RHCT, GSEC
Office of Scientific and Technical Information

Old 09-05-2008, 04:00 PM
"Chet Nichols III"

So, a co-worker of mine said that they did it at one of his previous jobs by
hooking a GPS unit up to their time server (and making their server a
stratum-1). Here's a little how-to by a guy who is a member of the NTP pool:
http://time.qnan.org/

I'm sure there's a less detailed, more easy plug-n-play way to get it
working, but maybe this will get you along the right track.

Good luck!

Chet

Old 09-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Andrew Bacchi

Here's the NTP web site, where you'll find info on setting up your own
network time server. http://www.ntp.org/

We have an internal time server, but we do link to a Stratum 2 server
through a TCP link. If you absolutely have to be air-gapped, and I
think a .gov should, you could purchase a highly accurate chronograph
that would server as your Stratum 2. You may need to reset that
annually though.

--
veritatas simplex oratio est
-Seneca