Old 09-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Sakthivel

Default NIS configure

Hi all,

*** Is it possible to configure NIS with out NFS support ? if it's possible, Kindly explain how can I get the home directories in client side.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
sakthi

Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 PM
"Marcos Aurelio Rodrigues"

i have no experience with nis, but i know is possible nis without nfs, the
only issue is the home directories.

you have to create the home directories and copy the contents of the skel to
them, maybe a script looking the accounts in your nis/passwd file.

[]s
Marcos

Old 09-08-2008, 06:09 PM
"Binyon, Steve CTR USAF ACC 705 CTS/ASRCC"

In the /etc/passwd file on the NIS master, the user's home directory
would be: /home/user01. Since the home directories are not being served
out, it must be local to the machine (unless I'm missing something).
Then on each system that is in the NIS domain that 'user01' can log
into, make the directory /home/user01 with proper ownership, copy any
login scripts required and have that directory owned by that user's
UID/GID.
Hth
smb