Old 09-04-2008, 04:30 PM
"Eric Deering"

Default New Guy

Hey all, So im pretty new to working with red hat...been using linux as a
desktop os for a while though. Im curious as so what i should be looking
into if i wanted to setup a linux file server that would work in a windows
network (ie. pull all the privs and permissions of the user from AD for the
server). Should i be looking into samba or is there other stuff out there? I
appreciate any advice i can get and any direction to look down for the
information...i googled it and didnt really think i saw what i was looking
for. Thanks.

-Eric

Old 09-04-2008, 05:51 PM
"Jim Canfield"

Eric Deering wrote:

Hey all, So im pretty new to working with red hat...been using linux as a
desktop os for a while though. Im curious as so what i should be looking
into if i wanted to setup a linux file server that would work in a windows
network (ie. pull all the privs and permissions of the user from AD for the
server). Should i be looking into samba or is there other stuff out there? I
appreciate any advice i can get and any direction to look down for the
information...i googled it and didnt really think i saw what i was looking
for. Thanks.

-Eric

You want samba, AD Domain membership specifically.

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/domain-member.html

Old 09-04-2008, 08:55 PM
"Mark Haney"

Eric Deering wrote:

Hey all, So im pretty new to working with red hat...been using linux as a
desktop os for a while though. Im curious as so what i should be looking
into if i wanted to setup a linux file server that would work in a windows
network (ie. pull all the privs and permissions of the user from AD for the
server). Should i be looking into samba or is there other stuff out there? I
appreciate any advice i can get and any direction to look down for the
information...i googled it and didnt really think i saw what i was looking
for. Thanks.

-Eric

Samba, no question. AD authentication, etc. It's solid and one of the
best maintained packages out there.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Stephen Carville

On Thursday 04 September 2008 9:30 am, Eric Deering wrote:
> Hey all, So im pretty new to working with red hat...been using linux as a
> desktop os for a while though. Im curious as so what i should be looking
> into if i wanted to setup a linux file server that would work in a windows
> network (ie. pull all the privs and permissions of the user from AD for the
> server). Should i be looking into samba or is there other stuff out there?
> I appreciate any advice i can get and any direction to look down for the
> information...i googled it and didnt really think i saw what i was looking
> for. Thanks.

Depends on how deep you want the integration. At the least you'll need
Kerberos, Samba, Winbind and a cooperative Windows staff.

--
Stephen

Old 09-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Andrew Bacchi

Stephen Carville wrote:
and a cooperative Windows staff.

In my experience, that's the hardest part of the puzzle.

--
veritatas simplex oratio est
-Seneca

Andrew Bacchi
Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
phone: 518.276.6415 fax: 518.276.2809

http://www.rpi.edu/~bacchi/

Old 01-11-2009, 08:31 PM
"Jason Howard"

i just installed ubuntu8.10.* i think it instaled corectlly, but after i enter my username and password all i get is a tan colored screen and a mouse pointer.* please help.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Chris Mohler

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Jason Howard <jchnmb@gmail.com> wrote:
> i just installed ubuntu8.10. i think it instaled corectlly, but after i
> enter my username and password all i get is a tan colored screen and a mouse
> pointer. please help.

I ran into this the other day - if this is the same problem, them
running updates will fix it. Unfortunately, since you have no GUI,
you will have to do it on the command line.

Press CTRL-ALT-F1. You should be presented with a text-only login prompt.

Log in - enter you username, press enter, password, press enter.
(Note that you will not see anything displayed while entering your
password).

Once you're logged in type:
sudo apt-get update

and press enter. When that's done type
sudo apt-get upgrade

and press enter. When prompted, answer "Y" and press enter. Depending
on your network/cpu speed, the updates could take quite a while. When
they are all finished, type:
sudo reboot

I'm not entirely sure what the culprit was in my situation (video
driver bug?), but this fixed the exact same problem for me.

HTH,
Chris

Old 07-21-2010, 04:41 PM
"D. VITELLIUS REGULUS"

Hi all just wanted to introduce myself, my names Robert Beatty and i look forward to working with you all.

D. VITELLIUS REGULUS
AMERICA AUSTROOCCIDENTALIS
NOVA ROMA______________________________________________ _
infrastructure mailing list
infrastructure@lists.fedoraproject.org

Old 07-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Mike McGrath

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, D. VITELLIUS REGULUS wrote:

> Hi all just wanted to introduce myself, my names Robert Beatty and i look forward to working with you all.

Hello Robert, what all were you interested in working on?

-Mike

Old 07-21-2010, 04:45 PM
seth vidal

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 11:44 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010, D. VITELLIUS REGULUS wrote:
>
> > Hi all just wanted to introduce myself, my names Robert Beatty and i look forward to working with you all.
> >

> Hello Robert, what all were you interested in working on?

And why does your From Field not match your name and why is it all in
caps?

-sv