Old 09-04-2008, 01:45 PM

Default Server sychronization after power fail and NIS

We have a number of servers in our office (RHEL 4 U6) and we don't have
a UPS. The problem is that when there is a power failure, some of the
servers fail to acquire the NIS bind, and ypbind exits. I can certainly
write a cron script to test if ypbind is running, and if not restart it,
but I would like to be able to have the ypbind daemon wait or retry. The
problem is one of timing:
Sep 4 06:29:00 asystem ypbind: Setting NIS domain name ypXXX:
succeeded
Sep 4 06:29:01 asystem ypbind: ypbind startup succeeded
Sep 4 06:29:24 asystem rpc.statd[20919]: Can't notify xx.xx.xx.xx,
giving up.
Sep 4 06:29:58 asystem ypbind: ypbind shutdown succeeded
Sep 4 06:29:58 asystem ypbind: attempting to contact yp server failed

--
Jerry Feldman <Jerry.Feldman@algorithmics.com>
Algorithmics (US), Inc

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and proprietary to Algorithmics Incorporated and its affiliates ("Algorithmics"). If received in error, use is prohibited. Please destroy, and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. Algorithmics does not accept liability for any errors or omissions. Any commitment intended to bind Algorithmics must be reduced to writing and signed by an authorized signatory.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:22 PM
George Magklaras

jerry.feldman@algorithmics.com wrote:

I can certainly
write a cron script to test if ypbind is running, and if not restart it,
but I would like to be able to have the ypbind daemon wait or retry. The
problem is one of timing:
Sep 4 06:29:00 asystem ypbind: Setting NIS domain name ypXXX:
succeeded
Sep 4 06:29:01 asystem ypbind: ypbind startup succeeded
Sep 4 06:29:24 asystem rpc.statd[20919]: Can't notify xx.xx.xx.xx,
giving up.
Sep 4 06:29:58 asystem ypbind: ypbind shutdown succeeded
Sep 4 06:29:58 asystem ypbind: attempting to contact yp server failed

Have a look at your ypbind init script at /etc/init.d/ypbind. It should
have a section like the one below:

# the following fixes problems with the init scripts continuing
# even when we are really not bound yet to a server, and then
things

# that need NIS fail.
echo -n $"Listening for an NIS domain server."
for (( times = 1; times < $NISTIMEOUT; times++ )); do
/usr/sbin/rpcinfo -p | LC_ALL=C fgrep -q ypbind && ypwhich
> /dev/null 2>&1

RETVAL=$?
if [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ]; then
break;
fi
sleep 1
echo -n "."
done

Try to increase the sleep argument (1->15) and/or the NISTIMEOUT
variable. Normally this might be caused by the time it takes for your
switch to re-learn the MAC addresses of your servers, when they power
up, which depends on various factors. But that should do the trick I think.

GM
George Magklaras

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios

Old 09-04-2008, 03:51 PM

Thanks. Setting the NISTIMEOUT value in /etc/sysconfig/ypbind appears to
be the better solution.