Old 09-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Ron Russell

Default Linux 64-bit Prerequisites

I have a requirement to install the following two packages on Red Hat Enterprise 5 as a prerequisite for the installation of a software package:

compat-db-4.2.52-5.1 (i386)
compat-db-4.2.52-5.1 (x86_64)

The problem is when I install one of the packages (makes no difference which one) I cannot install the other package because it states it is already installed. But when I run the check to see what is installed it only lists the one package. How do I get around this so I can install both packages?

Forgive me but I am fairly new to the Linux world but am trying to become more proficient.

Ron Russell

Old 09-04-2008, 01:51 PM
"Chris St. Pierre"

You should be able to install them both with:

yum -y install compat-db.i386 compat-db.x86_64

Of course, if the package you're ultimately trying to install is an
RPM, you can just do:

yum localinstall foo.rpm

That'll solve dependencies for you and you won't have to worry about
things like this.

FREE BONUS TIP! When it comes time to remove those packages, you'll
want:

rpm -e --allmatches compat-db

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator