-   -   eth0:1 Virtual IP how to turn off (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/149908-eth0-1-virtual-ip-how-turn-off.html)

Dave Martini 08-27-2008 08:31 PM

eth0:1 Virtual IP how to turn off

When I type ifconfig on RHEL 4 I see

eth0

eth0:1

eth0:2

When I looked in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts I don't see

ifcfg-eth0:1
or
ifcfg-eth0:2

I only see

ifcfg-eth0

What file is the system using to configure the virtual IP's
when it boots up? I would like to delete these virutal IP's
from the system.

Is there a way to set this with

# system-config-network

I'm not seeing it there.

Any help would be great.
Thank.
Dave Martini
LLNL

"Mark Haney" 08-27-2008 08:35 PM

Dave Martini wrote:

When I type ifconfig on RHEL 4 I see

eth0

eth0:1

eth0:2

When I looked in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts I don't see

ifcfg-eth0:1
or
ifcfg-eth0:2

I only see

ifcfg-eth0

Have you tried to take the interface down? ifconfig eth0:1 down

That's always worked for me across reboots.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

"Ryan Golhar" 08-27-2008 08:41 PM

eth0:1 Virtual IP how to turn off

Those are used by Xen for virtualization. Do you have virtual OSes ruuning on this machine? I'm willing to bet you do. They are the interfaces that map the virtual OS NIC to an actual NIC.

Ryan

Barry Brimer 08-27-2008 09:03 PM

Quoting Dave Martini <martini1@llnl.gov>:

> When I type ifconfig on RHEL 4 I see
>
> eth0
>
> eth0:1
>
> eth0:2
>
> When I looked in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts I don't see
>
> ifcfg-eth0:1
> or
> ifcfg-eth0:2
>
> I only see
>
> ifcfg-eth0
>
> What file is the system using to configure the virtual IP's
> when it boots up? I would like to delete these virutal IP's
> from the system.

Do you see these files in /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ or
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ ??