Old 08-25-2008, 02:25 PM
"Mertens, Bram"

Default What is needed for a minimal X(org) client installation?

Hi

I need to run a graphical application (the Oracle Client Installer) on a
RHEL4ES server. At the same time I'm trying to keep the installed
software to a minimum.

If I remember correctly it isn't necessary to install an X server to run
X applications (remotely) but I can't figure which packages are needed
to run X clients. I already installed xorg-x11-libs and xorg-X11-xauth
but launching system-config-mouse (just a test-case) still reports:
"Starting graphical mode failed. Starting text mode instead."

The X server on my (Windows) workstation is running, I'm able to launch
X applications on another (RHEL3ES) server where the full blown X has
been installed. So there must be some package(s) still missing but I
can't find any documentation on this.

http://decipherinfosys.wordpress.com/2007/06/04/configuring-redhat-linux
-for-oracle-10gr2-client-installation/ lists the following prereqs for
the installation of an Oracle Client but I'm hoping I won't be needing
all this.

binutils-2.15.92.0.2-13.EL4
compat-db-4.1.25-9
compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-132.7.2
control-center-2.8.0-12
gcc-3.4.3-22.1.EL4
gcc-c++-3.4.3-22.1.EL44
glibc-2.3.4-2.9
glibc-common-2.3.4-2.9
gnome-libs-1.4.1.2.90-44.1
libstdc++-3.4.3-22.1
libstdc++-devel-3.4.3-22.1
make-3.80-5
pdksh-5.2.14-30
sysstat-5.0.5-1
xscreensaver-4.18-5.rhel4.2
setarch-1.6-1

(I know that control-center and xscreensaver are needed for the
installation of an Oracle DB.)

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Bram

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

Old 08-25-2008, 03:13 PM

Try ssh with xforwarding
That list you sent looks complete to me
You migh have the wrong path to xterm

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Old 08-25-2008, 04:10 PM
"Mertens, Bram"

Hi

This is what I'm trying to accomplish, sorry if that wasn't clear.

I have now (reluctantly) installed all the packages listed but still the
Oracle installer failed, complaining about libXp.so.6 missing, so I
installed xorg-x11-deprecated-libs which provides this. But it still
didn't work.

Then I rechecked the Oracle installer error messages:
Xlib: connection to "localhost:10.0" refused by server
Xlib: PuTTY X11 proxy: wrong authentication protocol attempted

And after reading
http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.60/htmldoc/Chapter10.html#errors-x
11-proxy I realized that:
* when starting system-config-mouse (as my normal user) I was always
prompted for the root password
* I had used "su - oracle" before starting the installer

Running system-config-mouse still fails, even after logging in as root
via ssh with X-forwarding enabled, but at least I'll be able to install
the Oracle Client now.

I'll have to try and install it later with fewer packages installed, for
now this project needs to be completed.

Thanks for the help

Bram

P.s. In my defense: I'm just back from vacation, looks like my mind
isn't fully up-to-speed yet.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 PM
"Geofrey Rainey"

Hi,

I've had this same error with the Oracle installer and I can replicate
it
If I login to the server as a user other than oracle, such as root, and
then
Switch to the oracle user (su - oracle), and then run the Installer:

X connection to localhost:11.0 broken (explicit kill or server
shutdown).

Firstly, make sure you are actually logging in to the server as the
Oracle user.

Regards,
Geoff.

online at tvnz.co.nz

Old 08-26-2008, 06:44 AM
"Mertens, Bram"

Hi,

Again it looks like I've been thinking faster than I was typing. Yes,
after I realized that I had used "su -" to run the command as oracle I
also realized this was causign the X forwarding to fail. So, as you
wrote, after logging in as oracle via ssh with X forwarding enabled I
was able to start the installer, hence the [Solved] in the subject line.

Sorry again if I wasn't clear.

Regards