Old 08-22-2008, 11:44 AM
"Johan Booysen"

Default RHCE certification

My employer wants me to look into gaining the RHCE certification.

I've previously looked at the training manual by Michael Yang
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Certified-Engineer-Linux-Study-Guide/dp/0072264
543/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219405201&sr=8-1) and it seems to be
a good choice, but I'm wondering if anyone who has done RHCE could give
me their opinion on it and the certification process in general.

Thanks.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:27 PM
"Mohd Irwan Jamaluddin"

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Johan Booysen <johan@matrix-data.co.uk> wrote:
> My employer wants me to look into gaining the RHCE certification.
>

> I've previously looked at the training manual by Michael Yang
> (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Certified-Engineer-Linux-Study-Guide/dp/0072264
> 543/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219405201&sr=8-1) and it seems to be
> a good choice, but I'm wondering if anyone who has done RHCE could give
> me their opinion on it and the certification process in general.
>

> Thanks.
>

>From my experience, Rapid Track course (RH300) is good enough if
you're an experienced Red Hat SysAdmin. Otherwise, go for RH133 &
RH253 first. I don't recommend any study book for RHCE other than
original materials from the official Red Hat course.

Please take a look at https://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/ for details

Mohd Irwan Jamaluddin
Web: http://www.irwan.name/
Blog: http://blog.irwan.name/

Old 08-22-2008, 12:38 PM
mark

Johan Booysen wrote:
> My employer wants me to look into gaining the RHCE certification.
<snip>
Only if your employer is paying. Otherwise, well, we've had discussions here
before, and it's not more important than actually knowing/learning the job on
your own (books/co-workers/google HOWTOs/etc).

mark

Old 08-22-2008, 12:44 PM
"Johan Booysen"

Thanks for the reply.

I did both RH133 and RH253 (online - not classroom-based) and was a little disappointed with the course material, to be honest.

But thanks for your view on this.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:48 PM
"Johan Booysen"

Yep they will be paying. I see what you mean and of course it's true in
terms of having a piece of paper as opposed to actually being able to do
this or that.

Having said that, people over here also like the idea of things being
quantifiable, including certifications and suchlike. So they're
investing in staff training, which I think is great.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:53 PM
"Broekman, Maarten"

Take the prep quizzes on RedHat's site. If you do fine on them, take
RH300 (more to cover anything that you don't handle in your day-to-day
work) and then the exam. Otherwise, after the prep quizzes you may
decide the you need one or more full courses.

I took the prep quizzes and then RH253 and RH300 before the exam. In
retrospect, I probably could've gotten away with just taking RH300, but
at the time I wasn't confident that I knew RH253 cold, so I took that
first.

Maarten Broekman
Email: maarten.broekman@fmr.com

Old 08-22-2008, 12:54 PM
mark

Johan Booysen wrote:
> Yep they will be paying. I see what you mean and of course it's true in
> terms of having a piece of paper as opposed to actually being able to do
> this or that.
>
> Having said that, people over here also like the idea of things being
> quantifiable, including certifications and suchlike. So they're

That's HR type stuff here....
#insert <hr_should_be_shot.h>

> investing in staff training, which I think is great.

*That*, on the other hand, is unusual in the US, and is very much to be
appreciated.

mark

Old 08-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Barry Brimer

My employer wants me to look into gaining the RHCE certification.

I've previously looked at the training manual by Michael Yang
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Certified-Engineer-Linux-Study-Guide/dp/0072264
543/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219405201&sr=8-1) and it seems to be
a good choice, but I'm wondering if anyone who has done RHCE could give
me their opinion on it and the certification process in general.

I have not reviewed the book in question. I recommend studying up on the
material in the prep guide. It is there for a reason. If you feel you
are confident with the material there .. you could just take the RHCE exam
.. if you are not, and the part you feel weak in are services related .. I
would consider taking RH253 and then the exam. RH253 is more in depth on
services, or it was when I took it. The obvious answer is if you use the
majority of the material in your daily life and know it well, you should
be fine.

Barry RHCE, RHCDS, RHCSS, RHCA

Old 08-22-2008, 01:24 PM
hike

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 8:38 AM, mark <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:

> Johan Booysen wrote:
> > My employer wants me to look into gaining the RHCE certification.
> <snip>
> Only if your employer is paying. Otherwise, well, we've had discussions
> here
> before, and it's not more important than actually knowing/learning the job
> on
> your own (books/co-workers/google HOWTOs/etc).
>
> mark

MGRS are generally NOT technical.
MGRS use certification, training classes as a way to judge their work-force.

Certifications help MGRS within the business organization whether they are
looking for status (I've got all RHCEs on my staff), or quick approval (all
the engineers recommend), or avoiding nitpicking people (the RHCE all said
this is the way to go).

If you have certification, you help your MGR get her/his job accomplished!

Certs may mean nothing to a sysadmin but certs are very important to your
MGR.
Don't you want to help your MGR accomplish his task, show support for
her/him, etc.?

Certs are a game that sysadmin canNOT afford to skip.

On the plus side, certs will get you jobs and more money.
My Solaris sysadmin Certification brings in at least $10K more a year. At
my site, I am the highest paid sysadmin because of my certs (a college
degree puts me in the senior category; the certs make me the biggest
earner). The real UNIX guru, with 5-10 more years of experience and a much
larger skill set, dreams of making what I make. (I recommended him for my
current position; my employer picked little, old, certified me.)

Skipping certs is a fool's game!

I paid for my own RHCT training--class, hotel, car, meals, and took a week
without pay. Passed the RHCT test. Put in on my company's website form.
Now I am recognized as certified.

If you need a cert, get it; if you have to pay for it, get it. It is your
career not your MGR's or your employer's career. Just like college, once
you get your bachelor's, you don't have to get it again and it is a
constatnt source of money. (The $10K it cost me for college has provided
$100Ks for me. Currently, it pays about $10K per year that similarily
skilled sysadmins without a backelor's don't get.)

Being penny wise and pound foolish is also a fool's game!

Fools give bad advice.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Troy

Any manager that doesn't know the difference between a good sysadmin
and one with a bunch of certificates, is a manager you don't want to
work for.

Having said that, if they're paying for it, you might as well take it.
My manager wanted me to take it, and it was the most ridiculous thing
I've ever seen. Now, anyone who boasts about the fact that they are
RHCE certified, gets put into a very special category in my book.