-   -   Network interface configuration with kickstart (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/143565-network-interface-configuration-kickstart.html)

Andreas Zuber 08-15-2008 04:13 PM

Network interface configuration with kickstart

Hi

We have some problems with the automatic installation if the server we want to
install, has more than two interfaces to configure. There is now way how i
can be sure that a specific network card gets the right configuration after
the installation. This is because there is no way to specify the MAC address
for a interface. So there is no relation to the real hardware.

am i right that the kickstart command "network" just writes the configuration
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ ? Why not also write the MAC adress to
this file during installation? This may solve many problems.

This way the Network interfaces are all in the right order and we are all
happy :-)

--
Andreas Zuber
Linux System-Ingenieur

Puzzle ITC GmbH
www.puzzle.ch

Telefon +41 31 370 22 00
Direkt +41 31 370 22 49
Mobile +41 79 766 25 51
Fax +41 31 370 22 01

Puzzle ist Mitglied der Eclipse Foundation:
<http://www.puzzle.ch/eclipse/>

"Kashif Ali" 08-15-2008 06:32 PM

Network interface configuration with kickstart

Just kickstart the server with the following line

ksdevice=<MAC ADDRESS FOR ETH0>

for example

ksdevice=00:12:34:56:AA:BB

This will then make sure the kickstart uses this device as primary device and also configure it has eth0

Regards

Kashif

Andreas Zuber 08-17-2008 12:01 AM

Am Freitag 15 August 2008 20:32:24 schrieb Kashif Ali:
> Just kickstart the server with the following line
>
> ksdevice=<MAC ADDRESS FOR ETH0>
>
> for example
>
> ksdevice=00:12:34:56:AA:BB
>
> This will then make sure the kickstart uses this device as primary device
> and also configure it has eth0
>
> Regards
>
> Kashif

Yeah, i know that, but this is just the configuration during installation, not
the configuration that is written to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/. I don't
need a quick and dirty solution, we already use such things at the moment to
get the right configuration.

have a nice weekend
Andy

--
Andreas Zuber
Linux System-Ingenieur

Telefon +41 31 370 22 00
Direkt +41 31 370 22 49
Mobile +41 79 766 25 51
Fax +41 31 370 22 01

Puzzle ist Mitglied der ODF Alliance:
<http://www.puzzle.ch/odfalliance/>

Andreas Zuber 08-21-2008 02:25 PM

Network interface configuration with kickstart

ksdevice=<MAC ADDRESS> works to select the interface for dhcp probing. But it
does not rename the interface to eth0. It retrieves an IP over DHCP (it says
for eth1) and can download the kickstart file. But after that, connection is
lost again. I think this is because eth1 in the kickstart file is configured
for a different network. Is this possible?

Am Freitag, 15. August 2008 20.32:24 schrieb Kashif Ali:
> Just kickstart the server with the following line
>
> ksdevice=<MAC ADDRESS FOR ETH0>
>
> for example
>
> ksdevice=00:12:34:56:AA:BB
>
> This will then make sure the kickstart uses this device as primary device
> and also configure it has eth0
>
> Regards
>
> Kashif
>
> 2008/8/15 Andreas Zuber <zuber@puzzle.ch>
>
> > Hi
> >
> > We have some problems with the automatic installation if the server we
> > want to
> > install, has more than two interfaces to configure. There is now way how
> > i can be sure that a specific network card gets the right configuration
> > after the installation. This is because there is no way to specify the
> > MAC address
> > for a interface. So there is no relation to the real hardware.
> >
> > am i right that the kickstart command "network" just writes the
> > configuration
> > in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ ? Why not also write the MAC adress to
> > this file during installation? This may solve many problems.
> >
> > This way the Network interfaces are all in the right order and we are all
> > happy :-)
> >
> > --
> > Andreas Zuber
> > Linux System-Ingenieur
> >
> > Puzzle ITC GmbH
> > www.puzzle.ch
> >
> > Telefon +41 31 370 22 00
> > Direkt +41 31 370 22 49
> > Mobile +41 79 766 25 51
> > Fax +41 31 370 22 01
> >
> > Puzzle ist Mitglied der Eclipse Foundation:
> > <http://www.puzzle.ch/eclipse/>

Andreas Zuber
Linux System-Ingenieur

Puzzle ITC GmbH
www.puzzle.ch

Telefon +41 31 370 22 00
Direkt +41 31 370 22 49
Mobile +41 79 766 25 51
Fax +41 31 370 22 01

Puzzle ist Mitglied der Eclipse Foundation:
<http://www.puzzle.ch/eclipse/>

09-03-2008 09:03 AM

Network interface configuration with kickstart

Now we found a way to workaround that problem. We write the files in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ with a post script that is generated with
the inforamtion from cobbler and with the help of the cheetah templating
engine.

https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/KickstartSnippets#NICOrderingandInstallation

cheers
Andy