Old 08-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Stephan van Hienen

Default development license

Can someone tell me if there is a cheaper license than the basic subscription
($349) ?
I don't mind paying the basic subscription for ourproduction servers, but for
our development and staging servers I hope there is a cheaper solution ?
(Currently we are using centos for our dev and staging servers but I prefer to
use redhat on them.)

Thnx,

Stephan

Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 01:15:04PM -0700, Stephan van Hienen wrote:
> Can someone tell me if there is a cheaper license than the basic subscription
> ($349) ?
> I don't mind paying the basic subscription for ourproduction servers, but for
> our development and staging servers I hope there is a cheaper solution ?
> (Currently we are using centos for our dev and staging servers but I prefer to
> use redhat on them.)

The JBoss license would probably be perfect for you (we'll be renewing
with JBoss licenses after our term expires). It's $99 if I recall and
you get updates/errata but no support.

Ray

Old 08-14-2008, 05:24 AM
"Jose R R"

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Stephan van Hienen <ddx@a2000.nu> wrote:

> Can someone tell me if there is a cheaper license than the basic
> subscription ($349) ?
> I don't mind paying the basic subscription for ourproduction servers, but
> for our development and staging servers I hope there is a cheaper solution ?
> (Currently we are using centos for our dev and staging servers but I prefer
> to use redhat on them.)

Have you looked into Oracle Unbreakable
Linux<http://www.oracle.com/technologies/linux/index.html>(Red Hat
Enterprise GNU/Linux defaced):

Enterprise Linux Network Support (2 physical CPUs)
$119
$119
Access to software and updates through the Unbreakable Linux Network.

[A monolithic integrated circuit with multiple cores or hyperthreading is
counted as a single physical CPU when determining the total number of
physical CPUs in a system; see the pricing guide for further details.]

Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com

Old 08-14-2008, 05:32 AM
"katsumi liquer"

Thanks to all involved, this was a helpful conversation. I never heard
of the JBoss license before, or realized that Oracle was cheaper. Man,
those guys are slimy huh?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:58 AM
"Johan Booysen"

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are you saying you can
purchase JBoss licenses for development Red Hat servers to just get
access to updates?

I've had a look at Red Hat's site, but don't really see where
information about this can be found. Can someone point me in the right
direction?

Thanks.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:03 AM
"Johan Booysen"

Never mind. I found it:
https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/developers/jboss_developer_studio.html

Johan

Old 08-15-2008, 03:01 AM
"Sanjay Chakraborty"

I think you can rotate the servers in RHN. Keep prod most of the time.

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Stephan van Hienen <ddx@a2000.nu> wrote:
> Can someone tell me if there is a cheaper license than the basic
> subscription ($349) ?
> I don't mind paying the basic subscription for ourproduction servers, but
> for our development and staging servers I hope there is a cheaper solution ?
> (Currently we are using centos for our dev and staging servers but I prefer
> to use redhat on them.)
>
> Thnx,
>
> Stephan

Regards.
Sanjay Chakraborty

Old 08-15-2008, 12:24 PM
hike

If I understand you correctly (swapping a number of services in and out of
the licensed-stat)...

What you are suggesting is both wrong and dishonest.
You will breach your RHEL contract and risk lawsuits, loss of certification,
loss of use of RHEL software, termination (at a variety of levels), and
possibly worse.

If this is what you mean, you really have a lot of gall (and guile) to
propose abusing the RHEL contract and company on a Red Hat mailing list!