Old 08-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Dave Martini

Default physical network port matchup to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*

I have an HP proliant with two ethernet ports plus a pci
card with an additional two ethernet ports.
Is there a way to tell when you do an
# ifconfig -a

or when you check the files in

# /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

which ifcfg-eth0,eth1,eth2,eth3 file
corresponds to what physical port on the back of the machine?
My two internal built in ports on the HP proliant are numbered
1 an 2 does this mean it will match up with eth1 and eth2?
My two ports on the pci card are not numbered.
Thank you.
Dave Martini
LLNL

Old 08-13-2008, 04:28 PM
"Chet Nichols III"

I'll usually find out what the MAC addresses of the ports are (usually from
a sticker on the case somewhere, or on the card), and then from there you
should be able to either compare and match the MAC address as listed in your
ifcfg files (via the HWADDR variable), or, if the ifcfg files don't have it,
you can look at the output of dmesg to determine which interfaces are going
with which MACs as well.

Hope that helps as a way to throw a couple options out there!

Chet

Old 08-13-2008, 07:10 PM
hike

Proliant port labeled as 1 (of 2) = eth0
Porliant ported labeled as 2 (of 2) = eth1

Old 08-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Percy Barboza

I have an IBM x37 series which has 6 network ports all labelled. The ethx numbers always change on reboot . The best way is to find the mac addresses of each card and lock it in with the corresponding ifcfg-ethx file.

Percy

Old 08-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Chaim Rieger

Percy Barboza wrote:

I have an IBM x37 series which has 6 network ports all labelled. The ethx numbers always change on reboot . The best way is to find the mac addresses of each card and lock it in with the corresponding ifcfg-ethx file.

Percy

ifconfig -a
will tell you the mac addy of all the ifc's or go to the back and read
the labels

Chaim Rieger