Old 08-13-2008, 01:00 PM
"Jason Staudenmayer"

Default Iptables shapping

I have an odd situation, I was running a small RH box just for traffic shaping and the HD fried (super hot when I opened the box).
I was wondering it there was really any HD load for shaping or was this just a coincidence.

Jason

..><((((>

Old 08-13-2008, 05:01 PM

Jason,

>Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:00:49 -0400
>From: "Jason Staudenmayer" <jasons@adventureaquarium.com>
>
>I have an odd situation, I was running a small RH box just for traffic shaping and the HD fried (super hot when I opened the box).
>I was wondering it there was really any HD load for shaping or was this just a coincidence.

Coincidence. Anything running on your box can't cause the physical hardware to run hot.

mark "it's just ones and zeros"

Old 08-13-2008, 05:05 PM
"Jason Staudenmayer"

That's what I thought, and this thing was HOT!!!! I'd guess around 140F I could only touch it for a few seconds.
Now when I power the drive up it beeps while trying to ID itself to the controller.

Jason

..><((((>

Old 08-13-2008, 06:10 PM
"katsumi liquer"

This is partially true -- at least with HP DL servers, and I imagine
with others, when CPU and DISK loads reach high enough levels, it will
adjust the fans and such accordingly to compensate for the extra heat
generated. CPU will draw more power at high load, and hence generate
more heat, as will a hard disk under heavy activity.However, under
normal circumstances this should all be within the tolerances for that
box. In your case it sounds like bad ventilation or maybe fan failure,
because traffic shaping should be pretty much entirely a CPU/NIC/IO
affair and an easy-going one at that.

katsu

Old 08-14-2008, 12:48 PM
"Jason Staudenmayer"

After replacing the drive the whole system is running at normal temp. So I guess it was just a drive overheating and frying itself

Jason

..><((((>

Unread 08-14-2030, 01:32 AM
mark