Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Red Hat Linux (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/)
-   -   Iptables shapping (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/142283-iptables-shapping.html)

"Jason Staudenmayer" 08-13-2008 01:00 PM

Iptables shapping
 
I have an odd situation, I was running a small RH box just for traffic shaping and the HD fried (super hot when I opened the box).
I was wondering it there was really any HD load for shaping or was this just a coincidence.

Jason



..><((((>



--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

08-13-2008 05:01 PM

Iptables shapping
 
Jason,

>Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:00:49 -0400
>From: "Jason Staudenmayer" <jasons@adventureaquarium.com>
>
>I have an odd situation, I was running a small RH box just for traffic shaping and the HD fried (super hot when I opened the box).
>I was wondering it there was really any HD load for shaping or was this just a coincidence.

Coincidence. Anything running on your box can't cause the physical hardware to run hot.

mark "it's just ones and zeros"

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

"Jason Staudenmayer" 08-13-2008 05:05 PM

Iptables shapping
 
That's what I thought, and this thing was HOT!!!! I'd guess around 140F I could only touch it for a few seconds.
Now when I power the drive up it beeps while trying to ID itself to the controller.

Jason



..><((((>



> -----Original Message-----
> From: redhat-list-bounces@redhat.com
> [mailto:redhat-list-bounces@redhat.com] On Behalf Of
> m.roth2006@rcn.com
> Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 1:01 PM
> To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
> Subject: Re: Iptables shapping
>
>
> Jason,
>
> >Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:00:49 -0400
> >From: "Jason Staudenmayer" <jasons@adventureaquarium.com>
> >
> >I have an odd situation, I was running a small RH box just
> for traffic shaping and the HD fried (super hot when I opened
> the box).
> >I was wondering it there was really any HD load for shaping
> or was this just a coincidence.
>
> Coincidence. Anything running on your box can't cause the
> physical hardware to run hot.
>
> mark "it's just ones and zeros"
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

"katsumi liquer" 08-13-2008 06:10 PM

Iptables shapping
 
This is partially true -- at least with HP DL servers, and I imagine
with others, when CPU and DISK loads reach high enough levels, it will
adjust the fans and such accordingly to compensate for the extra heat
generated. CPU will draw more power at high load, and hence generate
more heat, as will a hard disk under heavy activity.However, under
normal circumstances this should all be within the tolerances for that
box. In your case it sounds like bad ventilation or maybe fan failure,
because traffic shaping should be pretty much entirely a CPU/NIC/IO
affair and an easy-going one at that.

katsu


On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 1:01 PM, <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:
> Jason,
>
>>Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 09:00:49 -0400
>>From: "Jason Staudenmayer" <jasons@adventureaquarium.com>
>>
>>I have an odd situation, I was running a small RH box just for traffic shaping and the HD fried (super hot when I opened the box).
>>I was wondering it there was really any HD load for shaping or was this just a coincidence.
>
> Coincidence. Anything running on your box can't cause the physical hardware to run hot.
>
> mark "it's just ones and zeros"
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

"Jason Staudenmayer" 08-14-2008 12:48 PM

Iptables shapping
 
After replacing the drive the whole system is running at normal temp. So I guess it was just a drive overheating and frying itself

Jason



..><((((>



> -----Original Message-----
> From: redhat-list-bounces@redhat.com
> [mailto:redhat-list-bounces@redhat.com] On Behalf Of mark
> Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2030 9:32 PM
> To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
> Subject: Re: Iptables shapping
>
>
> Jason Staudenmayer wrote:
> > That's what I thought, and this thing was HOT!!!! I'd guess
> around 140F I
> > could only touch it for a few seconds. Now when I power the
> drive up it
> > beeps while trying to ID itself to the controller.
> <snip>
> You've got some other problem. I'd look to see if the power
> supply fan was
> working, for a start.
>
> mark
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

mark 08-14-2030 01:32 AM

Iptables shapping
 
Jason Staudenmayer wrote:
> That's what I thought, and this thing was HOT!!!! I'd guess around 140F I
> could only touch it for a few seconds. Now when I power the drive up it
> beeps while trying to ID itself to the controller.
<snip>
You've got some other problem. I'd look to see if the power supply fan was
working, for a start.

mark

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.