-   -   VMWare (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/141645-vmware.html)

"Vivek Mangal" 08-12-2008 11:25 AM

VMWare

Hello ALL,

I tried VMWare on Fedora 8 x86_64 and make Win Xp as a guest
and it asked me to install every thing from starting as we installed Win XP,
then i did
but i am not able to use my other hard disk partition on guest OS, (Win Xp)
even i can not move or copy data to guest OS from outside (host) , or the
guest OS did not detect the Pen drive or any CD which i instered in CD Rom.
but Feroda 8 (Host) can detect that CD.
I think i did some thing wrong
can any one tell me what would be the problem ?

and how i use this VMWare for servers ?

--
With Regards,
Vivek Mangal

Vishnu Vardhan Reddy 08-12-2008 11:51 AM

VMWare

Hi,
By default there are no USB Host Controllers available. we have to select them from Virtual Machine Settings, there we have an options like add/remove. click on add button and select Devices like USB host 2.0 Controllers, Secondary IDE devices, Serial /Paraller if needed. after selecting save this configuration and power on VMware XP. Then finally load VMWare tools inside XP. now you can detect pen drives,*cd's on XP with guest credintials.*

Thanks & Best Regards
Vishnu Vardhan Reddy

"Vivek Mangal" 08-18-2008 07:31 AM

VMWare

Hello All,

Plaese any one solve my problem, or give me any suggestion

I need help

--
With Regards,
Vivek Mangal

wonderer 08-18-2008 08:34 AM

VMWare

Hy,

I will try my best, hope it will help.
If you have installed the VMWare tools out of VMware Server or
Workstation (did not know what exactly you use) into the guest you are
able to add "Shared Folders" into the VM to access your local HardDisc..
In my case it works perfectly. The CD-ROM or other Devices could
connected or add in the preferences menu of VMWare. The Rest should be
found in the VMWare Help or at vmware.com or somewhere else (it seems no
further Redhat or Fedora problem so far)...

What dou you mean "VMware for ServerS"? VMWare Server is the free VMware
product. If you want to use VMware for Redhat or Fedora Servers you want
to build up its easy to use. You only have to install this as a new
guest. But please be aware that you need MUCH RAM into your machine. If
you want to host much Servers you want to have VMware ESX, but that
costs a bit more and you also want to plan your ESX a bit better.

But Virtualisation comes with Redhat itself... please take also a look
at Xen. Maybe this package does all you want

mit freundlichen Grüßen / yours sincerly
H. Heigl

"Vivek Mangal" 08-19-2008 09:00 AM

VMWare

Thanks for reply
I am using VMware-server-1.0.6.91891.i386.rpm in Fedora 8 x86_64
and my laptop RAM is 2 GB
so i donot think so that their is any ram problem will be faced.

and i want to ask you all that,
how i implement VMware for servers like Web, squid, Dns, sendmail or any
other servers ?
actually i heard that vmware is very usefull for servers,
then i want to ask you that how it usefull for servers ?
can any one give me an example for use of vmware in case of servers,
so that i can learn and implement it ?

--
With Regards,
Vivek Mangal

Vishnu Vardhan Reddy 08-19-2008 10:24 AM

VMWare

Hi,
*

--
With Regards,
Vivek Mangal

"Vivek Mangal" 08-20-2008 10:59 AM

VMWare

Hello Al,
Thanks for reply, I learnd how to detect USB or any other devices in VMware.

--
With Regards,
Vivek Mangal

mark 12-24-2008 02:39 PM

VMWare

Ok, too many jobs want it, so I am going to put it on my system. Now, I've done
some research, and what I need to do is not a bare metal install, but rather an
install *over* an existing operating system (Linux, of course).

So, if I d/l the freeware version (VMWare server, I think it is), are there any
gotchas that will toast my system? Are there things I need to watch for, like
"oh, in 5pt type, and written by a lawyer, translated by someone for whom
English is a third language, you need to do this and that first, and then check
this option"?

mark

"Ben Kevan" 12-24-2008 02:45 PM

VMWare

Ok, too many jobs want it, so I am going to put it on my system. Now,
I've done
some research, and what I need to do is not a bare metal install, but
rather an

install *over* an existing operating system (Linux, of course).

So, if I d/l the freeware version (VMWare server, I think it is), are
there any
gotchas that will toast my system? Are there things I need to watch for,
like

"oh, in 5pt type, and written by a lawyer, translated by someone for whom
English is a third language, you need to do this and that first, and
then check

this option"?

mark

Hi Mark,

You don't install "over" an existing operating system but rather install it on a host system (running Linux or Windows). It is just like another application running.

Yes, VMware Server 2.0 will do what you need (the other option is VMware ESXi / VMware ESX which is what you considered as the barebone installation (although it's as easy as a thumb drive plugin w/ the VMware embedded hypervisor.

There aren't any gotcha's and VMware Server is nothing new (been around for a long time, and prior to being free it was VMware GSX).

Have fun
--
Ben Kevan
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may. - Fight Club

"katsumi liquer" 12-24-2008 02:48 PM

VMWare

IMHO no, there are no such gotchas, other than you may have to deal
with the default RHEL kernel out-of-memory process killer. If you are
hoping to configure VMware Server to use close to all of your physical
memory, you'll have to deal with it. Alternately if you really want a
clean, and also free approach, leave the Linux box alone and use
stand-alone ESX 3i on a separate host. Better VM, and better Linux
left untouched ;)

katsu