Old 03-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Sjoerd Hiemstra

Default VMware

On 21 Mar, Justin The Cynical wrote:

(about VMware Server 2.0)
> And if you find a better way to access the server under Linux that
> that $%#$^%! web UI crap, please let me know!!!

Use version 1 instead?
1.0.8 is the latest, it was updated even after 2.0 was released.
It is far less resource hungry than 2.0.

Added features in 2.0 include:
- support for new guest systems such as Windows Server 2008, Vista,
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5;
- runs on 64-bit hosts;
- 64-bit guests are installable on 64-bit hardware;
- support for USB 2.0.

So, if you do not need any of these, 1.0.8 would suffice.
Obtainable from www.vmware.com/download/server/
Haven't tried it yet though.

BTW, I do have VirtualBox, XP runs fine in it, but W95/98 is hardly
suitable for it.
Guest Additions cannot be installed in a VirtualBox W95/98 VM;
it is a hassle to exchange data with the W95/98 installation.
Moreover, since VB's upgrade to version 2, W95 has become horribly
slow, whilst the XP installation does not suffer from this phenomenon.
Which is the reason why I took at look at VMware for W95/98.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:00 AM
Justin The Cynical

Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:

On 21 Mar, Justin The Cynical wrote:

(about VMware Server 2.0)

And if you find a better way to access the server under Linux that
that $%#$^%! web UI crap, please let me know!!!

Use version 1 instead?
1.0.8 is the latest, it was updated even after 2.0 was released.
It is far less resource hungry than 2.0.

I know. However, I wasn't able to get it compiled at all on a fresh
lenny AMD64 install (looking back, it was prolly some missing 32bit
system libs) and I had to have the 64 bit to really make full use of the
6 gigs of RAM I installed.

I have to admit that version 2 runs /much/ better than 1.0.8 and I've
found that in spite of the craptastic UI and resource requirements, my
VM's run much smoother as well.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 PM
"mattias"

How can vmware run more stable on centos and not on ubuntu?
I meen
Usb works fine on centos but not on ubuntu

Old 07-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Athmane Madjoudj

On 07/10/2010 12:59 AM, mattias wrote:
> How can vmware run more stable on centos and not on ubuntu?
> I meen
> Usb works fine on centos but not on ubuntu

I suppose that you mean VMware Workstation 7.1 / Player 3.1.

VMware officially supports their desktop products on RHEL 5.x, OpenSuSE,
Ubuntu LTS.

If you're not using Ubuntu LTS then CentOS 5.x -which is binary
compatible with RHEL 5.x- is more stable to run VMware's desktop products.

I'm not talking about VMware Server 2.x because VMware has abandoned it,
although I use it on CentOS 5.5 with some workarounds.

HTH

--
Athmane Madjoudj
Linux Administrator / Developer

Old 07-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Alexander Dalloz

Am 10.07.2010 01:59, schrieb mattias:

> How can vmware run more stable on centos and not on ubuntu?
> I meen
> Usb works fine on centos but not on ubuntu

VMware is a company, not a specific product.

One (CentOS) may be supprted, the other (Ubuntu) not.

Alexander

Old 07-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Mark

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Athmane Madjoudj <athmanem@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not talking about VMware Server 2.x because VMware has abandoned it,
> although I use it on CentOS 5.5 with some workarounds.

Can you expand on that? Did they abandon VMWare Server altogether, or
just version 2?

I'm still using version 1.08, and it works fine, except that Win XP
SP3 won't Hibernate or Stand-by due to an incompatibility with one of
the VMWare drivers. I was using the VMWare save machine state, but it
turns out that shutdown and reboot is faster....

Let us know.... :-)

Mark

Old 07-10-2010, 01:47 AM
Athmane Madjoudj

> Can you expand on that? Did they abandon VMWare Server altogether, or
> just version 2?
>
> I'm still using version 1.08, and it works fine, except that Win XP
> SP3 won't Hibernate or Stand-by due to an incompatibility with one of
> the VMWare drivers. I was using the VMWare save machine state, but it
> turns out that shutdown and reboot is faster....
>
> Let us know.... :-)

See:
http://www.vmware.com/support/policies/lifecycle/general/index.html#policy_server

There was a discussions about this issue in the CentOS mailing list so
try to see the archives.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2010, 01:47 AM
Les Mikesell

Mark wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Athmane Madjoudj <athmanem@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not talking about VMware Server 2.x because VMware has abandoned it,
>> although I use it on CentOS 5.5 with some workarounds.
>>

> Can you expand on that? Did they abandon VMWare Server altogether, or
> just version 2?

I think it is specific to RHEL/Centos. Server 2.x was broken by an update to
RHEL 5.x and neither RHEL nor VMware have done anything to fix it. I don't
think other supported distros were affected.

> I'm still using version 1.08, and it works fine, except that Win XP
> SP3 won't Hibernate or Stand-by due to an incompatibility with one of
> the VMWare drivers. I was using the VMWare save machine state, but it
> turns out that shutdown and reboot is faster....
>
> Let us know.... :-)

I don't think anyone likes the web-based console in the 2.x series anyway. I'd
either stick with the 1.x version or load ESXi on the hardware and move your
current OS to a guest.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 07-10-2010, 01:51 AM
Athmane Madjoudj

> I think it is specific to RHEL/Centos. Server 2.x was broken by an update to
> RHEL 5.x and neither RHEL nor VMware have done anything to fix it. I don't
> think other supported distros were affected.

There is also some unfixed security issues with 2.x.

> I don't think anyone likes the web-based console in the 2.x series anyway. I'd
> either stick with the 1.x version or load ESXi on the hardware and move your
> current OS to a guest.

VMware ESXi doesn't support the same hardware as CentOS does.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:54 AM
"mattias"

So ubuntu is not supported?
Ok but you can insstall it