Old 12-24-2008, 11:45 PM
mark

Default VMWare

katsumi liquer wrote:
> Mark, re: bare metal; what they mean by that these days is just that
> you install ESX as the root/core/main/host operating system for that
> machine, wether it be virtual or physical. It's a very confusing term

I'm not confused. As I keep trying to explain to people, I know what it means -
the thing is that I am *now* running Linux on my home system, which I'm typing
this email on, and want to install it on *that*. I am not about to go out and
buy a new box, or even go out to buy a new hard drive, to install it on.
<snip>
> re: ESX & $$$ In general the way it works is that the core enterprise
> VM server component, ie: the ESX kernel is available in a particular
> flavor for free, and they call that flavor ESX 3i. It's free, but it
> has a slightly different capability to matrix and makeup to the
> tradition ESX 3.x server. For one thing it does not have a complete
> userspace setup any more, and by default you can't really even access
> a shell, altho it does have busybox hidden.
>
> the reality of the situation is that ESX is an extremely solid and
> robust product, and in either form you will not be disappointed by
> either the capacity it is able to suck from even a mild server
> platform, but also that the stability and management are very
> straight-forward and unified , at least to the degree that vmware is
> the sole vendor of ESX kernel environments, and the support
> implications that entails.

Right. That's what I've been hearing for a while now, and it seems to me that
once I set it up, creating the VMs and installing o/s's in those VM's, and then
running them, will be pretty much the same as installing ESXi, then installing
o/s's in VMs....

> i support xen and esx, you don't need to look any farther than Amazon
> EC2 for proof that xen is an intense and capable vm kernel, but i can
> only speak for esx in terms of being dependable for years on end in
> production, and enabling us to do fairly complex vlan/vswitch and
> storage configurations and in %99 of the time, taking most if it
> without missing a beat.

As I said, I'd be willing to look at xen, but really don't have any real need
to, since 99.9% of all the sysadmin ads I've seen for 3.5 months, if they
mention virtualization, they say VMware. I think I've seen one? two? ads, in
all that time, that mentioned xen.

mark

Old 12-25-2008, 12:45 AM
"katsumi liquer"

Mark,

Re: Job listings .. yes, i imagine it must be true; i am trying to
strengthen all things virtualization, not only because i think they
make a damn interesting system to work with, and not only because they
can make a lot of pain points in computing outrageously cooler, but
also because i need to make a living... but that being said... i was
never hired because postfix or openssh were on my resume, but these
days they have helped me to hang on to my current position.. i imagine
knowledge of xen could have a similarly anchoring nature, especially
in places were a lot of Citrix is used (now). if anyone has any
pro/con xen vs esx in production i'd really like to hear about it.

katsu

Old 12-25-2008, 12:50 AM
"Jose R R"

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 4:45 PM, mark <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:
> katsumi liquer wrote:
[...]
> As I said, I'd be willing to look at xen, but really don't have any real need
> to, since 99.9% of all the sysadmin ads I've seen for 3.5 months, if they
> mention virtualization, they say VMware. I think I've seen one? two? ads, in
> all that time, that mentioned xen.
>
> mark

It would be interesting to know if those who write the job
descriptions consult with those who actually do manage the IT
infrastructure The generic term Xen is not as *sticky* as the
constant marketing bombardment of a proprietary brand of technology.
Hence, for those in non IT departments any mere mention of
virtualization is associated with *a* VmWare just as yesteryear they
associated an "windows" with an computer system.

--
Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com

Old 01-27-2009, 10:05 PM
"Ed Mackley"

Ed ubuntu newbe.
My daughter gave me her old, but nice Toshiba lap
with XP*trouble and bugs and lost the XP DC. didn't want to $$$ for a new
CD. my son-in-law said*to try ubuntu so I'm here, trying to*fix
it*for my wife who uses Family tree maker and doesn't won't to use anything
else
I'm trying to install a* ("virtual machine") I installed wine the other day. and couldn't get it to load
IE6 & FTM. Son-in-law he uses VMware at work so I installed it using http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-vmware-server-2-on-an-ubuntu-8.04-desktop*
Sudo commands. but I can't open it and some how it is in the
applications*dropdown list on wine's list and not in the app's list. I went
to synaptic package manager and found it. boxes are not checked.
? #1 what do I need to do to take it off of the
wines list and add it to the app's list. and
? #2 will checking the boxes* make it open or
do I need to do something else also.
Thanks Ed

Old 01-28-2009, 02:06 AM
scar

Ed Mackley @ 01/27/2009 04:05 PM:
> Ed ubuntu newbe.
> My daughter gave me her old, but nice Toshiba lap with XP trouble and bugs and lost the XP DC. didn't want to $$$ for a new CD. my son-in-law said to try ubuntu so I'm here, trying to fix it for my wife who uses Family tree maker and doesn't won't to use anything else
> I'm trying to install a ("virtual machine") I installed wine the other day and couldn't get it to load IE6 & FTM. Son-in-law he uses VMware at work so I installed it using http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-vmware-server-2-on-an-ubuntu-8.04-desktop Sudo commands. but I can't open it and some how it is in the applications dropdown list on wine's list and not in the app's list. I went to synaptic package manager and found it. boxes are not checked.

if i understand correctly the way vmware works (i haven't used it), then
you still need a license key for windows. installing vmware is one
step, then you need to install windows within that. so you will need
the XP CD and a license to complete that.

it looks like wine will run some middle versions of FTM (not new ones
nor old ones),

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=494

which version do you have?

if you have one of those versions that is lovingly rated "garbage". i
think your only option is to install windows and run it within that.

even if you have one of the versions rated "silver", it seems there are
still functions that don't work properly.

you and your wife may need to be more diligent in switching to a native
linux alternative. there are some suggestions for that also in that
link above. i would really recommend trying them out. you may find
they are better!

"gramps" is available in the add/remove programs. just check the box
next to what you want to install and click apply, after the installation
process is done, the icon to start the app shows up in the programs list
somewhere.

> ? #1 what do I need to do to take it off of the wines list and add it to the app's list. and

i'm not sure what happened here. what exactly are you talking about
that is in wine's list? reading the link you provided, it looks like
vmware is managed within firefox, so there is no need for something to
be in the applications list. if you want to uninstall vmware you'll
have to research that on vmware's website.

> ? #2 will checking the boxes make it open or do I need to do something else also.

synaptic is kind of advanced for new users, so i would recommend
sticking to the add/remove programs. anyway, after checking or
unchecking, you have to click the apply button and it will install or
remove what you have checked or unchecked. after that, depending on
what you installed, it may show up in the applications list or you may
have to run it from command line.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:22 AM
scar

Old 03-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Sjoerd Hiemstra

Trying to install VMware in sid, just to run another OS locally.
As far as I can see, VMware Server 2, obtainable from
www.vmware.com/freedownload is what I would need.

Installation was successful.
But during the configuration new kernel modules are built, and this
error shows up:

Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.1.3", while you are
trying to use "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.3.3". This configuration is
not recommended and VMware Server may crash if you'll continue.
Please try to use exactly same compiler as one used for building
your kernel. Do you want to go with compiler "/usr/bin/gcc" version
"4.3.3" anyway? [no]

If I try to proceed with 'yes' then there are errors like this one:

*** Inappropriate build environment: you wanted to use gcc version
4.3.3 while kernel attempts to use gcc version 4.1.3.

The older gcc 4.1.3 is not available in debian.snapshot.net .

So, the question is: has anyone managed to install VMware? If so, how?

Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2009-03-20 21:43 +0100, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:

> Trying to install VMware in sid, just to run another OS locally.
> As far as I can see, VMware Server 2, obtainable from
> www.vmware.com/freedownload is what I would need.
>
> Installation was successful.
> But during the configuration new kernel modules are built, and this
> error shows up:
>
> Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.1.3", while you are
> trying to use "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.3.3". This configuration is
> not recommended and VMware Server may crash if you'll continue.
> Please try to use exactly same compiler as one used for building
> your kernel. Do you want to go with compiler "/usr/bin/gcc" version
> "4.3.3" anyway? [no]
>
> If I try to proceed with 'yes' then there are errors like this one:
>
> *** Inappropriate build environment: you wanted to use gcc version
> 4.3.3 while kernel attempts to use gcc version 4.1.3.
>
> The older gcc 4.1.3 is not available in debian.snapshot.net .

But it is available from the Debian mirrors in the gcc-4.1 package:

,----
| % LANG=C gcc-4.1 --version
| gcc-4.1 (GCC) 4.1.3 20080704 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.2-25)
| Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
| This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
| warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

`----

Please install gcc-4.1 and retry. If you still have problems, you may
need to set "CC=gcc-4.1" for the vmware modules build.

Sven

Old 03-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Sjoerd Hiemstra

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:53 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2009-03-20 21:43 +0100, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> > The older gcc 4.1.3 is not available in debian.snapshot.net .
>
> But it is available from the Debian mirrors in the gcc-4.1 package:
>
> ,----
> | % LANG=C gcc-4.1 --version
> | gcc-4.1 (GCC) 4.1.3 20080704 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.2-25)
>
> Please install gcc-4.1 and retry.

Ahh - but I do have gcc-4.1 installed.

> If you still have problems, you may need to set "CC=gcc-4.1" for the
> vmware modules build.

Did that and it solved the problem. Thanks (again! ;-) ) a lot!

Old 03-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Justin The Cynical

On 2009-03-20 21:43 +0100, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:

The older gcc 4.1.3 is not available in debian.snapshot.net .

But it is available from the Debian mirrors in the gcc-4.1 package:

,----
| % LANG=C gcc-4.1 --version
| gcc-4.1 (GCC) 4.1.3 20080704 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.2-25)

Please install gcc-4.1 and retry.

Ahh - but I do have gcc-4.1 installed.

If you still have problems, you may need to set "CC=gcc-4.1" for the
vmware modules build.

Did that and it solved the problem. Thanks (again! ;-) ) a lot!

For those who may not know why this worked...

~$ ls -l /usr/bin/gcc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 2009-02-18 01:03 /usr/bin/gcc -> gcc-4.3

~$ ls -l /usr/bin/gcc*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 2009-02-18 01:03 /usr/bin/gcc -> gcc-4.3
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 90712 2008-10-25 02:38 /usr/bin/gcc-3.4
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 226568 2009-01-18 10:44 /usr/bin/gcc-4.1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 239000 2009-01-02 03:16 /usr/bin/gcc-4.3

Lenny AMD64

As I understand it, specifying CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.1 forces the build
environment to use the chosen version of GCC, ignoring the default of
/usr/bin/gcc.

This got me as well when I was experimenting with VMWare Server/Client
Tools and Lenny, still does on occasion. *grin*

One other thing, the client tools for VM 2.0... One of the more
important modules won't compile with the kernel shipped with Lenny
(vsock = VM communication interface socket). Search around (I don't
recall the exact URL where I found it, I think it was on the Ubuntu
forums) for vmware-config.pl.patch and vmware-config-tools.pl.patch, you
will need them to get that module compiled. The VM will run without it,
but it won't run as well.

And if you find a better way to access the server under Linux that that
$%#$^%! web UI crap, please let me know!!!