Old 12-24-2008, 08:21 PM
"Ben Kevan"

Default VMWare

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:06:17 -0800, mark <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:

Eric Feldhusen wrote:

On Dec 24, 2008, at 2:29 PM, mark <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:

That may be the case, but I'm *jobhunting*, and what everyone (>90%)
want is VMware.

If you're job hunting, more often than not, companies are looking for
ESX experience. I'd recommend registering for the free ESXi and getting
experience with that.

Um, I'm not going to afford going out and buying a brand new system, or
even a
new hard drive. I'm installing this on my existing system. I mean, come
on,

what would you do?

I don't think they're going to worry about whether I installed bare
metal, or
hosted, just that I'm familiar with VMware and VMs. Once it's up and
running,
there shouldn't be *that* much difference (other than me not having a
SAN or

some such).

mark

I would install ESX (which ESXi is a free download). Why? Because that's the market demand. They won't say "have you installed vmware". They will ask if you have experience with VI or ESX.

There is a MAJOR difference between hosted vmware products and enterprise versions (ie esx / virtual infrastructure).

--
Ben Kevan
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may. - Fight Club

Old 12-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Dave Ihnat

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 03:06:17PM -0600, mark wrote:
> Um, I'm not going to afford going out and buying a brand new system, or even a
> new hard drive. I'm installing this on my existing system. I mean, come on,
> what would you do?

Ah...run VMWare under ESX under VMWare under SuSE, maybe?

(Hmm...wise-ass comment aside, that'd be an interesting experiment...)
--
Dave Ihnat
ignatz@dminet.com

Old 12-24-2008, 10:11 PM
"Ben Kevan"

Um, I'm not going to afford going out and buying a brand new system, or
even a
new hard drive. I'm installing this on my existing system. I mean, come
on,

what would you do?

Ah...run VMWare under ESX under VMWare under SuSE, maybe?

(Hmm...wise-ass comment aside, that'd be an interesting experiment...)
--
Dave Ihnat
ignatz@dminet.com

Not a wize ass comment at all .

This is how many people that work in the enterprise do their testing on ESX. You can install ESX into workstation even.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:39 PM
mark

Dave Ihnat wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 03:06:17PM -0600, mark wrote:
>> Um, I'm not going to afford going out and buying a brand new system, or even a
>> new hard drive. I'm installing this on my existing system. I mean, come on,
>> what would you do?
>
> Ah...run VMWare under ESX under VMWare under SuSE, maybe?

Now you've got me confused. I thought ESX was for bare metal installs, Dave.

> (Hmm...wise-ass comment aside, that'd be an interesting experiment...)

mark, wise-ass response elided

Old 12-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Jason Riker

On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 17:39 -0600, mark wrote:
> Dave Ihnat wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 03:06:17PM -0600, mark wrote:
> >> Um, I'm not going to afford going out and buying a brand new system, or even a
> >> new hard drive. I'm installing this on my existing system. I mean, come on,
> >> what would you do?
> >
> > Ah...run VMWare under ESX under VMWare under SuSE, maybe?
>
> Now you've got me confused. I thought ESX was for bare metal installs, Dave.
> >
> > (Hmm...wise-ass comment aside, that'd be an interesting experiment...)
>
> mark, wise-ass response elided

You all have me confused here. I thought ESX cost money. Is it free?

Jason

Old 12-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Dave Ihnat

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 05:39:34PM -0600, mark wrote:
> Now you've got me confused. I thought ESX was for bare metal installs, Dave.

VMWare *looks* like a virtual computer to the software loaded; hence,
the ability to run DOS, Windows, Unix, Linux, etc. There's no real
reason that ESX wouldn't just look at the hardware and decide to load.

Yes, they have selections when building a VM for the various operating
systems, but I suspect that's more a matter of deciding which virtual
devices to load in the VM.

Cheers,
--
Dave Ihnat
dihnat@dminet.com

Old 12-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Dave Ihnat

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 04:03:49PM -0800, Jason Riker wrote:
> You all have me confused here. I thought ESX cost money. Is it free?

Not AFAIK, no. I was just talking about the tech aspects.
--
Dave Ihnat
dihnat@dminet.com

Old 12-24-2008, 11:20 PM
"Marti, Rob"

ESXi doesn't cost anything - Virtual Infrastructure does.

https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=esxi
Research is gud.

Rob Marti

Old 12-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Jason Riker

<snip>

Old 12-24-2008, 11:32 PM
"katsumi liquer"

Mark, re: bare metal; what they mean by that these days is just that
you install ESX as the root/core/main/host operating system for that
machine, wether it be virtual or physical. It's a very confusing term
because especially in the context of virtualization people tend to
think it implies physical (bare) hardware, but what it really seems to
mean is just that the product doesn't co-exist with an existing OS the
way that VMware Server does, rather it needs to be booted itself
directly on the 'machine'.

re: ESX & $$$ In general the way it works is that the core enterprise
VM server component, ie: the ESX kernel is available in a particular
flavor for free, and they call that flavor ESX 3i. It's free, but it
has a slightly different capability to matrix and makeup to the
tradition ESX 3.x server. For one thing it does not have a complete
userspace setup any more, and by default you can't really even access
a shell, altho it does have busybox hidden.

the reality of the situation is that ESX is an extremely solid and
robust product, and in either form you will not be disappointed by
either the capacity it is able to suck from even a mild server
platform, but also that the stability and management are very
straight-forward and unified , at least to the degree that vmware is
the sole vendor of ESX kernel environments, and the support
implications that entails.

i support xen and esx, you don't need to look any farther than Amazon
EC2 for proof that xen is an intense and capable vm kernel, but i can
only speak for esx in terms of being dependable for years on end in
production, and enabling us to do fairly complex vlan/vswitch and
storage configurations and in %99 of the time, taking most if it
without missing a beat.

katsu