Old 12-24-2008, 02:52 PM
"Paul M. Whitney"

Default VMWare

VMWare server 2.0 (I believe) is the latest release. It works like a charm. I do not believe you have any toasting concerns by installing and using it. There is a lot of support for it on the web mostly at vmware.com.

I personally use VMWare Workstation on Fedora 10 and Fusion on my mac. Both products rock. Makes testing and development a lot easier. Plus if you absolutely have to have Windows product that will not run on Wine, then installing an small instance of Windows with the app is the way to go.

I also use this technology at work with VMWare Infrastructure 3. Very powerful. There are other options in the market today such as Xen (Red Hat), Citrix, and even Windows Hypervisor. But they all seem to be playing catchup to VMWare's capability.

Paul

Old 12-24-2008, 03:19 PM
mark

katsumi liquer wrote:
> IMHO no, there are no such gotchas, other than you may have to deal
> with the default RHEL kernel out-of-memory process killer. If you are
> hoping to configure VMware Server to use close to all of your physical
> memory, you'll have to deal with it. Alternately if you really want a
> clean, and also free approach, leave the Linux box alone and use
> stand-alone ESX 3i on a separate host. Better VM, and better Linux
> left untouched

Not gonna work that way. I'm doing this at home, where I'm currently running
openSuSE. I was figuring on installing VMWare Server, then, somewhere soon,
installing CentOS 5 as a VM. (Then, next cover letter, and next interview, I
can say that I have been investigating it, and have it running now, so yeah,
you do want to hire me....)

mark

Old 12-24-2008, 03:22 PM
mark

Paul M. Whitney wrote:
> VMWare server 2.0 (I believe) is the latest release. It works like a charm.
> I do not believe you have any toasting concerns by installing and using it.
> There is a lot of support for it on the web mostly at vmware.com.

A question: a friend on another list says I might need to install the kernel
dev kit, since I'm installing it in use mode.
<snip>
Thanks!

mark

Old 12-24-2008, 03:40 PM
"katsumi liquer"

Mark,

That much is usually true; when VMware Server installs, depending on
your method, if it can't find a set of kernel modules which load
cleanly into your running kernel, it will attempt to build the modules
needed. For that you will need your kernel dev/header packages and all
compiler tools, but that's pretty much it. You can remove them when
you're done, but keep in mind you may need to rebuild the modules any
time you upgrade your kernel image.

katsu

Old 12-24-2008, 03:45 PM
"Ben Kevan"

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 08:22:53 -0800, mark <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:

Paul M. Whitney wrote:
VMWare server 2.0 (I believe) is the latest release. It works like a
charm.
I do not believe you have any toasting concerns by installing and using
it.

There is a lot of support for it on the web mostly at vmware.com.

A question: a friend on another list says I might need to install the
kernel

dev kit, since I'm installing it in use mode.
<snip>
Thanks!

mark

Yes, typically you'll have to install kernel sources.

--
Ben Kevan
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may. - Fight Club

Old 12-24-2008, 06:21 PM
"Jose R R"

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 7:52 AM, Paul M. Whitney <paul.whitney@mac.com> wrote:
[...]
> I also use this technology at work with VMWare Infrastructure 3. Very powerful. There are other options in the market today such as Xen (Red Hat), Citrix, and even Windows Hypervisor. But they all seem to be playing catchup to VMWare's capability.
>[...]

"seem" is not an objective statement and it simply narrows the vision
and scope of virtualization. The multiple iterations of Xen into so
many different vendors' implementations, like Red Hat and Fedora,
Debian/Ubuntu, Novell's SuSE and OpenSuSE, Oracle's OVS, Sun
Microsystems xVM, simply shows that, in the long run, Xen has the most
potential for a truly connected multi-vendor infrastructure to The
Cloud.

--
Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com

Old 12-24-2008, 06:29 PM
mark

Jose R R wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 7:52 AM, Paul M. Whitney <paul.whitney@mac.com>
> wrote: [...]
>> I also use this technology at work with VMWare Infrastructure 3. Very
>> powerful. There are other options in the market today such as Xen (Red
>> Hat), Citrix, and even Windows Hypervisor. But they all seem to be playing
>> catchup to VMWare's capability. [...]
>
> "seem" is not an objective statement and it simply narrows the vision and
> scope of virtualization. The multiple iterations of Xen into so many
> different vendors' implementations, like Red Hat and Fedora, Debian/Ubuntu,
> Novell's SuSE and OpenSuSE, Oracle's OVS, Sun Microsystems xVM, simply shows
> that, in the long run, Xen has the most potential for a truly connected
> multi-vendor infrastructure to The Cloud.

That may be the case, but I'm *jobhunting*, and what everyone (>90%) want is
VMware.

mark

Old 12-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Eric Feldhusen

On Dec 24, 2008, at 2:29 PM, mark <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:
That may be the case, but I'm *jobhunting*, and what everyone (>90%)
want is

VMware.

mark

If you're job hunting, more often than not, companies are looking for
ESX experience. I'd recommend registering for the free ESXi and
getting experience with that.

Eric Feldhusen

Old 12-24-2008, 07:47 PM
"Ben Kevan"

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:40:52 -0800, Eric Feldhusen <efeldhusen.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

On Dec 24, 2008, at 2:29 PM, mark <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:
That may be the case, but I'm *jobhunting*, and what everyone (>90%)
want is

VMware.

mark

If you're job hunting, more often than not, companies are looking for
ESX experience. I'd recommend registering for the free ESXi and getting
experience with that.

Eric Feldhusen

I second this. Most companies aren't looking for experience in the Hosted products from vmware, but the full blown enterprise versions of ESX.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:06 PM
mark

Eric Feldhusen wrote:
> On Dec 24, 2008, at 2:29 PM, mark <m.roth2006@rcn.com> wrote:
>> That may be the case, but I'm *jobhunting*, and what everyone (>90%)
>> want is VMware.
>>
> If you're job hunting, more often than not, companies are looking for
> ESX experience. I'd recommend registering for the free ESXi and getting
> experience with that.

Um, I'm not going to afford going out and buying a brand new system, or even a
new hard drive. I'm installing this on my existing system. I mean, come on,
what would you do?

I don't think they're going to worry about whether I installed bare metal, or
hosted, just that I'm familiar with VMware and VMs. Once it's up and running,
there shouldn't be *that* much difference (other than me not having a SAN or
some such).

mark