Old 08-12-2008, 09:40 AM
"Joy Methew"

Default suEXEC

hello all
i wann run index.php which in located in
/var/www/virtual/index.php

i wann run this file with *privilege of root user.

any suggestion.

*

Old 08-12-2008, 09:49 AM

Why
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Old 08-12-2008, 10:57 AM
"Joy Methew"

bcoz i am making website where i wann add some user from form.
so useradd command can run by root user.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:07 PM
"Joy Methew"

scrpit.sh.....

#!/bin/bash
echo Content-type: text/html
echo
whoami
echo '<br><br>'
id || echo "Will not work with SELinux."
echo '<br>'

first virtual hosting is showing username cgiuser but second virtual hostinf
is blank answer.
i waan it show username root.
i m not doing this virtual hosting together.
this virtual hosting only for testing purpose.
chown cgiuser.cgiuser /var/www/virtual/cgi-bin/
chmod 755 /var/www/virtual/cgi-bin/
chmod 755 /var/www/virtual/cgi-bin/script.sh

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.4:80>
DocumentRoot /var/www/html
ServerName 192.168.1.4
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/virtual/cgi-bin/
SuexecUserGroup cgiuser cgiuser
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.4:80>
DocumentRoot /var/www/html
ServerName 192.168.1.4
ScriptAlias /root-cgi-bin/ /var/www/virtual/root-cgi-bin/
SuexecUserGroup root root
</VirtualHost>

Old 08-12-2008, 12:11 PM
"Broekman, Maarten"

By having the two virtual hosts, Apache will use the first matching
entry. This means that it will never use the second virtual host entry.
You either need to comment out the first entry or change it.

Also, check the Apache documentation (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/).

Maarten

Old 08-12-2008, 12:59 PM
"Joy Methew"

i have told already i am not using both together.

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Broekman, Maarten <Maarten.Broekman@fmr.com

Old 08-12-2008, 01:16 PM
"Miner, Jonathan W (US SSA)"

The way I have always accomplished this is by splitting the task into two parts. First, use the web interface to create a simple text file (or database) of work to be done. Second, use a cron job, running with appropriate permissions, to read the text file, (or database) and perform the work, and notify the original requester.

The downside is that the work is done asynchronously.

On the plus side, you don't need to run the webserver with elevated permissions.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:28 PM
"Joy Methew"

Apache default to running as the user apache.
This is safe and effective strategy for mostly static website,but many
dynamic website have CGI scripts that need more privileges.For example,a
script may need to write to a file,or access a database as a user other than
apache.
so here i want to use root user.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:41 PM
"Miner, Jonathan W (US SSA)"

Joy -

I understand what you're trying to do. I was just proposing a slightly different security architecture. Just another way to look at the problem... Running processes as "root" should be a last resort, if there is no other way to perform the task.

- Jon

Old 08-12-2008, 01:46 PM
"Joy Methew"

Miner
can you tell me how i can do this with root user power??