Old 08-06-2008, 04:32 AM
"Vivek Mangal"

Default cpu architecture

Hello All,
I was configuring VMWare on Fedora 8 x86_64
but when i create a virtual machine then it gives me a error that your cpu
is not a x86_64 arch.
i tried to check it in /proc/cpuinfo file
but nothing found
can any one tell me how i check my processor arch or cpu arch.

--
With Regards,
Vivek Mangal

Old 08-06-2008, 04:35 AM

Post the output of

Uname -a.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Old 08-06-2008, 12:37 PM

When you test /proc/cpuinfo, look for the "lm" cpu flag. This is the
flag (long mode) that tells you the CPU is actually a 64-bit CPU. Here
is the output on both Intel and AMD processors.

[gaf@boslc03 test]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 6
model name : Genuine Intel(R) CPU 3.40GHz
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 3391.732
cache size : 16384 KB
physical id : 2
siblings : 2
core id : 4
cpu cores : 2
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 6
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2
ss ht tm syscall nx lm pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2 cid
cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips : 6793.14
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 128
power management:

[gaf@gaf ~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 16
model : 2
model name : Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2352
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 2100.000
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext
3dnow constant_tsc pni monitor cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm cr8_legacy
bogomips : 5256.54
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts ttp tm stc [6] [7] [8]

--
Jerry Feldman <Jerry.Feldman@algorithmics.com>
Algorithmics (US), Inc

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and proprietary to Algorithmics Incorporated and its affiliates ("Algorithmics"). If received in error, use is prohibited. Please destroy, and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. Algorithmics does not accept liability for any errors or omissions. Any commitment intended to bind Algorithmics must be reduced to writing and signed by an authorized signatory.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:06 AM
"Vivek Mangal"

Thanks for reply
the output of unamr -a is
Linux mangal.example.com 2.6.23.1-42.fc8 #1 SMP Tue Oct 30 13:18:33 EDT
2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
and the /proc/cpuinfo file is
*****************************
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz
stepping : 13
cpu MHz : 2001.000
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm ida
bogomips : 3993.31
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz
stepping : 13
cpu MHz : 2001.000
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm ida
bogomips : 3989.79
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:
*******************
And by seeing lm flags how i will get cpu arch ?
Please explane it...

--
With Regards,
Vivek Mangal

Old 08-09-2008, 07:20 AM
"Jai Rangi"

This is 64 bit

--
With Regards,
Vivek Mangal

Old 08-11-2008, 03:49 AM
"Vivek Mangal"

Thanks for reply
but Jai Rangi ji
How you can say it 64 bits ?
and how i detect that it is a x86_64 bit ?
Please tell me...

--
With Regards,
Vivek Mangal

Old 08-11-2008, 03:50 AM

Address size will never show up if its 32 bit

--
With Regards,
Vivek Mangal

Old 08-11-2008, 03:52 AM
"Geofrey Rainey"

Here's what I see on a 64 bit machine:

[user@host1 home]$ uname -a
Linux host1 2.6.18-8.el5 #1 SMP Fri Jan 26 14:15:14 EST 2007 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Regards,
Geoff.

--
With Regards,
Vivek Mangal
online at tvnz.co.nz

Old 08-11-2008, 01:26 PM

Look at the flags. The lm flag means 64-bit for both the AMD and the
Intel chips. In addition, the model name will tell you the type of
processor as well as the CPU family.
Here is one for an Opteron and an Itanium. You'll see that in the x86_64
chips you will have the longmode flag (lm) where you won't in an
Itanium. From Software, 'uname -p' will give you the processor.

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 16
model : 2
model name : Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2352
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 2100.000
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat pse36
clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext
3dnow constant_tsc pni monitor cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm cr8_legacy
bogomips : 5256.88
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts ttp tm stc [6] [7] [8]

processor : 0
vendor : GenuineIntel
arch : IA-64
family : Itanium 2
model : 2
revision : 2
archrev : 0
features : branchlong
cpu number : 0
cpu regs : 4
cpu MHz : 1600.017400
itc MHz : 1600.017400
BogoMIPS : 2390.75

Old 08-12-2008, 03:58 AM
"Vivek Mangal"

Thanks for every one i got it.
means my Laptop is x86_64 arch then
1) why VMWare shows that CPU is not x86_64 bit ?
output of uname -a is
Linux mangal.example.com 2.6.23.1-42.fc8 #1 SMP Tue Oct 30 13:18:33 EDT
2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

2) But in one of PC the output of uname -a is
Linux mangal.example.com 2.6.9-22.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Sep 19 18:32:14 EDT 2005
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Then i686 shows which arch ?

--
With Regards,