Old 08-05-2008, 06:04 PM
"Aaron Bliss"

Default some weird behavior when viewing man pages

I noticed that displaying man pages looks a bit funny. The box is running
redhat 5 ES, using bash shell, over ssh via putty on a windows xp box. For
instance, when I man man the first word for the -w option is

Donāt --which I assume should read as Don't.
Further down, for the LANG section there are two more uses of ā associated
with
the text LANG and foo.

Any ideas on this? Thanks.

Aaron

Old 08-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Kristoffer Knigga

Change the character set translation in putty to UTF-8.

This is found in the Configuration window, under Window, and then under Translation.

See attached PNG.

Kris Knigga

Old 08-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Kristoffer Knigga

Ok, so attachments get stripped.

If you want an illustration, try this: http://www.knigga.com/misc/putty-utf8.png

Kris

Old 08-05-2008, 06:37 PM
"Aaron Bliss"

Kris,
Worked right on. Thanks.

Aaron

Old 08-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Yong Huang

Thanks Kris for this tip. I was always prepending LANG=C, like "LANG=C man
man". But your solution is better, not to mention that changing locale may have
some other side effect.

Yong Huang