Old 08-03-2008, 02:33 PM
"unix syzadmin"

Default INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

Hi,

This is a RHEL4 U1 server. We are unable to restart this server using "init
6" or "shutdown -r now" command.

---------*******---------
# more /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 1)

# who -r
run-level 3 Aug 3 02:43 last=S

# uname -a
Linux lnx101 2.6.9-11.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri May 20 18:26:27 EDT 2005 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux
---------*******---------

At the console it gives the below messages and seems to be hung.

---------*******---------
Unmounting pipe filesystems
Unmounting filesystems:
umount2: Device or resoruce busy
umount: /usr device is busy
umount2: Device or resource busy
umount: /usr device is busy

INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel [failed]

Old 08-04-2008, 08:50 AM
George Magklaras

What type of server is this (I mean the hardware/make)? I have seen
boxes experiencing this issue having power management issues with ACPI/APM.

Did the problem appear suddenly or is this a first install?

GM

George Magklaras

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios

Old 08-04-2008, 09:28 AM
"Atiqur Rahman"

Use reboot command or use Ctrl+Alt+Dell reboot machine

Old 08-07-2008, 02:12 AM
"Sanjay Chakraborty"

Hi,
Filesystem might have corrupted. If you cannot unmount partitions then
do not run fsck it is better to do hrad reboot it and it will ask for
filesystem check, press y. It should be fine.

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 10:33 AM, unix syzadmin <unixsyzadmin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a RHEL4 U1 server. We are unable to restart this server using "init
> 6" or "shutdown -r now" command.
>
> ---------*******---------
> # more /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 1)
>
> # who -r
> run-level 3 Aug 3 02:43 last=S
>
> # uname -a
> Linux lnx101 2.6.9-11.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri May 20 18:26:27 EDT 2005 i686 i686
> i386 GNU/Linux
> ---------*******---------
>
> At the console it gives the below messages and seems to be hung.

> Unmounting pipe filesystems
> Unmounting filesystems:
> umount2: Device or resoruce busy
> umount: /usr device is busy
> umount2: Device or resource busy
> umount: /usr device is busy
>
> INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel [failed]

Regards.
Sanjay Chakraborty