Old 07-28-2008, 01:55 PM
"Patil, Manjiri S"

Default how to add driver module to initrd ?

Hi ,

After using Disk imaging software my destination machine doesn't boot
because kernel on source machine doesn't have necessary driver modules
for RAID Controller on destination machine which is Poweredge 2950
running PERC 6/i RAID controller .

I want to add megaraid driver module to source machine RHEL kernel
running 2.6.9-67.0.4.ELsmp. So after imaging , I booted destination
machine using RHEL 5 rescue disk , mounted all partitions , did chown
/mnt/sysimage and can see following modules loaded

$ lsmod

megaraid_sas 71677 2

How do I add megaraid_sas module to kernel image ?

Thanks

Old 07-29-2008, 02:23 AM
"Sanjay Chakraborty"

If you find module is available. type modprobe -v <module name>
run lsmod to see it is loaded. New modules appears on the top. Make a
ramdisk so that it appear in next boot. Copy kernel and initrd in some
place, if something goes wrong put it back in grup.conf file.
See man page for mkinitd to make ram disk.

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Patil, Manjiri S <mpatil@bu.edu> wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> After using Disk imaging software my destination machine doesn't boot
> because kernel on source machine doesn't have necessary driver modules
> for RAID Controller on destination machine which is Poweredge 2950
> running PERC 6/i RAID controller .
>
> I want to add megaraid driver module to source machine RHEL kernel
> running 2.6.9-67.0.4.ELsmp. So after imaging , I booted destination
> machine using RHEL 5 rescue disk , mounted all partitions , did chown
> /mnt/sysimage and can see following modules loaded
>
> $ lsmod
>
> megaraid_sas 71677 2
>

> How do I add megaraid_sas module to kernel image ?
>

> Thanks

Regards.
Sanjay Chakraborty