Old 07-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Ryan Golhar

Default Kickstart + RHEL5 + printer configuration

I'm trying to set up a kickstart configuration file for RHEL 5. One of
the things I used to have in RHEL 3 was a post-installation section to
install a common printer using printconf-tui to import printer settings
from an existing configuration file.

In RHEL5, I can only find the system-config-printer program which is a
graphical application. What happened to printconf-tui? The
system-config-printer have an equivalent shell version?

I used printconf-tui to output printer settings and also used it to
import printer settings. How do I do this in RHEL 5?

Ryan

Old 07-31-2008, 05:16 AM
"Chet Nichols III"

I haven't done it personally, but according to the RHEL 5 deployment docs (
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Deployment_Guide-en-US/ch-printing.html),
it says you can use system-config-printer from the command line.
Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Chet

Old 08-15-2008, 11:39 PM
mark

Ryan Golhar wrote:
> Unfortunately that tool requires a GUI and there doesn't seem to be a
> shell equivalent.

If you're working with CUPS, the answer is the text mode web browser lynx, and
go to localhost:631

mark

Old 08-16-2008, 12:09 AM

I actually found a better solution especially for automated kickstart- copy or create /etc/cups/printers.conf in post section of kickstart filem. Seems to work well