-   -   resize/move in parted did not shrink swap size - resource busy (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/131342-resize-move-parted-did-not-shrink-swap-size-resource-busy.html)

"sunhux G" 07-25-2008 03:26 AM

resize/move in parted did not shrink swap size - resource busy

Hi,

To add to earlier post on resizing VMWare ESX Redhat Linux 5.2,
I've tried :

"fdisk -l" to find out the swap partition (it's /dev/cciss/c0d0p2)

/sbin/parted
> select /dev/cciss/c0d0p2
> print (to get minor number, start & end cylinder)
> resize 1 0.000 800.000
> move 1 0.000 800.000

Warning: The kernel was unable to re-read the partition table on /dev/...
(Device or resource busy). This means Linux knows nothing
about any modifications you made. You should reboot your computer

I've tried doing the above in single user mode & got the same message.
After rebooting, top still showed the swap space as 8Gb.

What did I miss? Just want to free up some space.

Rgds

**

"Sanjay Chakraborty" 07-25-2008 03:55 AM

resize/move in parted did not shrink swap size - resource busy

Are you running redhhat linux in vmware right ? Because present vmware
esx 3.5 is based on RHEL 3 kernel.
Your are having issue with vmware host or gest?

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 11:26 PM, sunhux G <sunhux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To add to earlier post on resizing VMW ESX Redhat Linux 5.2,
> I've tried :
>
> "fdisk -l" to find out the swap partition (it's /dev/cciss/c0d0p2)
>
> /sbin/parted
>> select /dev/cciss/c0d0p2
>> print (to get minor number, start & end cylinder)
>> resize 1 0.000 800.000
>> move 1 0.000 800.000
>
> Warning: The kernel was unable to re-read the partition table on /dev/...
> (Device or resource busy). This means Linux knows nothing
> about any modifications you made. You should reboot your computer
>
> I've tried doing the above in single user mode & got the same message.
> After rebooting, top still showed the swap space as 8Gb.
>
> What did I miss? Just want to free up some space.
>

> Rgds
>
> **

Regards.
Sanjay Chakraborty

"sunhux G" 07-25-2008 05:20 AM

resize/move in parted did not shrink swap size - resource busy

Yes, VMWare ESX Linux is the host.

I have not installed any clients/guest OS in the VMWare box yet

Any way to workaround this?

"Sanjay Chakraborty" 07-25-2008 02:56 PM

resize/move in parted did not shrink swap size - resource busy

I have not seen this kind of errors. thIs box is new or old? If your
server is old then may be the old driver causing this problem. Clear
everything,clear bios and reinstall bios and firmware from scratch.
Then insall vmware esx.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 1:20 AM, sunhux G <sunhux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, VMWare ESX Linux is the host..
>
> I have not installed any clients/guest OS in the VMWare box yet
>
> Any way to workaround this?

Regards.
Sanjay Chakraborty