Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Troy

Default Consent Banner

There was a similar email a little while ago. Here are the most useful
ideas (bottom is most recent in the response).

Well, you *could* do the "acceptance by logging in" thing... or
you

can
force them to type [yes|no]. Here's how I accomplish that.

Firstly, thanks for the help.

I've done this on a test platform, and I end up with a dialog
box when

log into the GUI, but hitting the cancel button still lets me in.

I DO NOT get a prompt when I ssh, nor do I get one from the text
console
or tty consoles (ctl+F1 through ctl+F6).

Any ideas on implement this in those circumstances?

Have you tried implementing this by replacing the user's shell (in
/etc/passwd or equivalent) with your own wrapper script?

Hmmm...replace bash (or leave bash alone and replace the login
shell in
/etc/passwd) with a script that calls bash if they say OK? No, I
hadn't
thought of that. I'll try it on my test platform, and report back.
It

will
be interesting to see how Windows programs like putty and winscp
handle

it.

We did a somewhat-similar task at a place where I used to work. We
set
everyone's login shell to a locally-written perl script. That perl
script
did things such as ensure that the user had permission to log in to
the
system (checking against user database), check the user's quota,
print out
a blurb, then exec( )'d tcsh. It needed some interupt handling,
though, to
fit what you want to do. I don't have the code anymore, but this
might

give you an idea of what direction to go. (Would you need to record
user's answers to your question in a database for future
reference? This

might give you that ability.)

This worked with all of the SSH clients we had around (OpenSSH,
Tectia,

TeraTerm, maybe PuTTY).