Old 07-24-2008, 09:18 PM
"Michael Scully"

Default RH4 CUPS

Greetings:

My RHEL4 installation uses CUPS, and it appears that any
other shared printers throughout the network appear in the browse list. You
also see them with lpstat -t. Is there a simple config that turns off
browsing of other printers? And if so, how do I clear out the list of
destinations currently there?

Scully

Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Percy Barboza

Have you tried in your cupsd.conf
BrowseAllow from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xx

percy

Old 07-24-2008, 10:32 PM
"Michael Scully"

Percy:

I want to talk to direct IP printers. It's just shares from desktop
PCs and Mac's I don't want to add as part of the Linux lp destinations.

The cupsd.conf file looks like it's created from some printconf
utility. Can I edit it and not lose changes?

Scully

Old 07-25-2008, 12:00 AM
mark

Hi, Michael,

Michael Scully wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> My RHEL4 installation uses CUPS, and it appears that any
> other shared printers throughout the network appear in the browse list. You
> also see them with lpstat -t. Is there a simple config that turns off
> browsing of other printers? And if so, how do I clear out the list of
> destinations currently there?

Yep, there is. You can try to go to localhost:<forgetwhatport>, and see if you
can turn it off there, or you can edit the config file in /etc/cups.

Documentation? You might want to read ESR's rant about trying to get CUPS to
work right....

mark

Old 07-28-2008, 04:04 AM
Percy Barboza

We have 4 subnets each having multi ip printers and what we do in cupsd.conf is
Browsing On
BrowseProtocols cups
BrowseOrder Allow,Deny
BrowseAllow from <ip-address-subnet>
This restricts all printers from any other subnet.
We do not use printool or any other tool that would directly overide cupsd.conf.

hope that helps