Old 07-24-2008, 08:36 PM

Default installing a python program....

Chaim,

>Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:37:54 -0700
>From: Chaim Rieger <chaim.rieger@gmail.com>
>m.roth2006@rcn.com wrote:
>> However, when I go to install supervisor, every. single. time. it tries to access the 'Net, becuase it can't find elementtree.
>>
>is elementtree a prereq ?

Yup. And they also don't mention that I needed to install cElementTree, but I see reference to that in the setup.py.

mark, very frustrated

Old 07-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Chaim Rieger

m.roth2006@rcn.com wrote:

Chaim,

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:37:54 -0700
From: Chaim Rieger <chaim.rieger@gmail.com>
m.roth2006@rcn.com wrote:

However, when I go to install supervisor, every. single. time. it tries to access the 'Net, becuase it can't find elementtree.

is elementtree a prereq ?

Yup. And they also don't mention that I needed to install cElementTree, but I see reference to that in the setup.py.

mark, very frustrated

install elementtree (1.2.6) from http://effbot.org/downloads#elementtree

Chaim Rieger

Old 07-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Chaim Rieger

m.roth2006@rcn.com wrote:

Yup. And they also don't mention that I needed to install cElementTree, but I see reference to that in the setup.py.

mark, very frustrated

did that work ?

Chaim Rieger

Old 07-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Percy Barboza

Easiest way is to download and use setup tools

use easy_install <package-name> --install-dir <dir-name>.

Make sure the install dir is in your pythonpath.
Percy

Old 07-24-2008, 11:57 PM
mark

Chaim Rieger wrote:
> m.roth2006@rcn.com wrote:
>> Chaim,
>>

>>> Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:37:54 -0700

>>> is elementtree a prereq ?
>>
>> Yup. And they also don't mention that I needed to install
>> cElementTree, but I see reference to that in the setup.py.
>>
> install elementtree (1.2.6) from http://effbot.org/downloads#elementtree

Sorry if I wasn't clear. In the manual for supervisor, they list four prereq's,
and I installed all four, including elementtree. Then, just today, reading the
code of the setup.py, I saw that it referenced cElementTree, and found that was
*separate*, and I d/l'd and installed *that*.

When I go into python from the command line, I can issue the command that it
gags on:
$ from elementtree import ElementTree
and that succeeds. It's the setup script that seems to be unable to find it.

mark

Old 07-25-2008, 12:01 AM
mark

Chaim Rieger wrote:
> m.roth2006@rcn.com wrote:
>> Yup. And they also don't mention that I needed to install
>> cElementTree, but I see reference to that in the setup.py.
>>
>> mark, very frustrated
>>
> did that work ?

No.

I'm so aggravated that I finally emailed one of the maintainers. I still
haven't had a single response on the supervisor mailing list.

mark

Old 07-25-2008, 12:02 AM
mark

Percy Barboza wrote:

> Easiest way is to download and use setup tools
>
> use easy_install <package-name> --install-dir <dir-name>.
>
> Make sure the install dir is in your pythonpath.

Except that the supervisor manual says that will insist on using the 'Net
connection. Is that a false statement? Remember, I can't pull it from the 'Net.

mark

Old 07-25-2008, 12:02 AM
mark

By the way folks, thanks. I've had more responses here in just a few hours than
I've had from the supervisor list in a day and a quarter (that is, zero).

mark

Old 07-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Percy Barboza

you can certainly specify the folder where the compressed file or egg exists.
The greatest adavantage of easy_install is that if it finds any dependencies listed in setup.py and it can't find it will download it from the net much the same way we use perl ppm.

percy

Old 07-25-2008, 01:58 AM
mark

Percy Barboza wrote:
> you can certainly specify the folder where the compressed file or egg
> exists. The greatest adavantage of easy_install is that if it finds any
> dependencies listed in setup.py and it can't find it will download it from
> the net much the same way we use perl ppm.

Ok, well, I'll try the easy install. But I do have to be able to make it happen
without 'Net access.

Actually, for my own information, how the *hell* do you tell python what proxy
to use? It sure ain't gonna look at ~/.wgetrc

mark