Old 07-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Josh Miller

Default OT: Resizing swap space on VMWare ESX Linux

sunhux G wrote:

We've over-allocated the swap space on a newly installed
VMWARE ESX - 6Gb.

I was told that 800MB is the max & possibly 600MB for
swap space is sufficient though the VMWare blade comes
with 32Gb memory.

How can I reduce the swap space size without reinstalling
the ESX?

Hi U,

It's really not a big deal that you've over-allocated the swap for your
ESX install -- it will only take away local disk from your COS which you
should not be overly dependent upon anyway. Any virtual machine related
files should be on shared storage -- in fact, I would recommend that any
local VMFS filesystems be removed ASAP and not allocated to prevent
local bus scans when scanning for new filesystems and/or devices from
Virtual Center.

It's true that 800MB is the maximum amount of RAM that you can allocate
to your service console, but it is *not* true that you can only allocate
800MB of swap to your service console, although it doesn't make sense to
allocate more than 1.6GB of swap to the COS.

I would fix this in my build script and move on, leaving this until a
better excuse to rebuild this ESX host comes up. I would *highly*
recommend allocating 800MB of RAM to all of your ESX hosts to
accommodate any activity or maintenance that you perform in your virtual
environment.

(COS = console operating system = service console.)

HTH,
--
Josh Miller, RHCE/VCP
Seattle, WA