-   -   Resizing swap space on VMWare ESX Linux (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/130715-resizing-swap-space-vmware-esx-linux.html)

lonetwin 07-24-2008 08:43 AM

Resizing swap space on VMWare ESX Linux

google it my friend...
you'll find tons of links on how to do it ..

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 1:41 PM, sunhux G <sunhux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We've over-allocated the swap space on a newly installed
> VMWARE ESX - 6Gb.
>
> I was told that 800MB is the max & possibly 600MB for
> swap space is sufficient though the VMWare blade comes
> with 32Gb memory.
>
> How can I reduce the swap space size without reinstalling
> the ESX?
>

> Thanks

07-24-2008 12:46 PM

Resizing swap space on VMWare ESX Linux

While VMWare ESX is a Linux kernel, it is part of VMWare. You might be
better off checking with the VMWare user group.

--
Jerry Feldman <Jerry.Feldman@algorithmics.com>
Algorithmics (US), Inc

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and proprietary to Algorithmics Incorporated and its affiliates ("Algorithmics"). If received in error, use is prohibited. Please destroy, and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. Algorithmics does not accept liability for any errors or omissions. Any commitment intended to bind Algorithmics must be reduced to writing and signed by an authorized signatory.

07-24-2008 01:54 PM

Resizing swap space on VMWare ESX Linux

Do you need to change the swap space of service console in ESX?

You can make use of mkswap, swapon commands to do this. Check the man
page of these commands.

Thanks,
Krishnaprasad

"Blackburn, Marvin" 07-25-2008 12:04 PM

Resizing swap space on VMWare ESX Linux

YOu can change the swap allocation in Virtual Center.
Highlight the host, go to configuration, then memory. You can tell it
what you want.
It does require a reboot. This swap is only for the service console,
and unless you run a lot of stuff outside what was delivered, then you
really don't need anywhere near 600 MB.

_____________________________________
"He's no failure. He's not dead yet."
William Lloyd George

Josh Miller 07-25-2008 01:41 PM

Blackburn, Marvin wrote:
YOu can change the swap allocation in Virtual Center.
Highlight the host, go to configuration, then memory. You can tell it

what you want.

No, this is the physical memory allocated to the service console, not
the swap allocation. You can verify this by logging into the service
console and executing the 'free -m' command. You will also see this
parameter passed to the kernel on boot via grub.conf.

All the best,

--
Josh Miller, RHCE/VCP
Seattle, WA

"Sanjay Chakraborty" 07-25-2008 10:03 PM

Resizing swap space on VMWare ESX Linux

Resize swap space is only possible by creating 1st other eswap space,
close all applicaton (very less memory use) swapoff the first swap and
then claim back by format different filesystem and then turn on the
other swap. These are my guess I did not do anything like this.

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 4:11 AM, sunhux G <sunhux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've over-allocated the swap space on a newly installed
> VMWARE ESX - 6Gb.
>
> I was told that 800MB is the max & possibly 600MB for
> swap space is sufficient though the VMWare blade comes
> with 32Gb memory.
>
> How can I reduce the swap space size without reinstalling
> the ESX?
>

> Thanks

Regards.
Sanjay Chakraborty

"sunhux G" 07-28-2008 01:06 AM

Resizing swap space on VMWare ESX Linux

Hi

What are the commands for me to achieve the suggestions below?

Thanks

07-28-2008 06:51 AM

Resizing swap space on VMWare ESX Linux

Mkswap , swapon and swapoff are the command sets.
For more information please see the man page of each command

Thanks,
krishnaprasad

"Sanjay Chakraborty" 07-29-2008 02:15 AM

Resizing swap space on VMWare ESX Linux

Thank you Krishna Prasad. I had a typo eswap it is actually swap.

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 2:51 AM, <Krishnaprasad_K@dell.com> wrote:
> Mkswap , swapon and swapoff are the command sets.
> For more information please see the man page of each command
>
> Thanks,
> krishnaprasad

Regards.
Sanjay Chakraborty